New Neighbor

Help Support CattleToday:

Wewild

Reaction score
Seems we got a new angus heifer so I go looking for a owner I don't know of cause we don't have folks that close with cattle.

Just a mile or 2 as the crow flies see this guy working on a fence. I stopped and asked him if he knew whose cows were in the pasture next to the pasture he was working on. They were his sisters. I asked if any where missing and he said no so I proceeded on until he hollered to see if we had seen any out. It seemed we had a new one and he said he would check.

That being said and normal for the most part, I can't recall ever seeing a man working on a fence with a white trimmed to the hilt French poodle until today.

Was it his sister's heifer? And the poodle. It didn't have red bows in its ears did it? My old neighbor had a toy poodle he simple doted over.

Jogeephus":mzhgt9nw said:
Was it his sister's heifer? And the poodle. It didn't have red bows in its ears did it? My old neighbor had a toy poodle he simple doted over.

Don't know. Haven't heard back.

It was just trimmed no frills that I recall. It all was really like an after thought. I didn't process it till I was down the road.

This wasn't a toy.

The standards are pretty good dogs. They do look like mongruls if not groomed well though. They used to be working dogs but you don't see that much anymore.

Ryder":1odra6k6 said:
Those sissy looking dogs are smart (except the crazy ones that are too inbred nervous).
Don't really like to admit it, but they are smart.

Standard bred poodles were once a hunting dog - and a darned good ones as well.

A pack of standard bred poodles could down a small moose and they can be trained to fetch downed birds if they have the hunting lines in them

As for the tiny ones - they have been known to kill full sized dogs.

Seems the big dogs get all that hair balled up in their mouths and choke on it!

Bez+

I had a minature dachshund that was my personal farm dog for several years, until she died. That was the best working farm dog you could have ever asked for. She would ride the tractor with me, ride the gator with me, and go everywhere with me.

I know it looked silly, but she was good company and she would always point out the snakes!

grannysoo":up13evp0 said:
I know it looked silly, but she was good company and she would always point out the snakes!

That's exactly what I need. I got 13 retired fighting roosters for snake patrol at the barn. It worked wonderful and they even kept me from getting bit once. But when the Cooper's hawks migrated through their numbers dwindled to one. I must say "the one" was the most paranoid rooster on the planet. He was always hiding under equipment and looking at the sky. It was hilarious to watch. But I think he eventually looked left when he should have looked right. :lol2:

We had a fluffed up Pomeranian show up here a few years ago. She was obviously well bred and maintained. The first time the 4-wheeler fired up, she hopped on the back of it and rode around the pasture :lol: She knew about cows, too. She understood that as long as she stayed on the other side of the electric wire, they couldn't get her. She just acted like any farm dog. We finally found her "grandpa". Her owners were moving and had left her with their dad while they were hauling stuff. She had wandered off. I have to admit that after about a week here, she didn't look nearly as spiffy as when she arrived. I have a better opinion of that dog breed than I used to have. If it wasn't for all that hair......

Bez+":3uo4awet said:
Ryder":3uo4awet said:
Those sissy looking dogs are smart (except the crazy ones that are too inbred nervous).
Don't really like to admit it, but they are smart.

Standard bred poodles were once a hunting dog - and a darned good ones as well.

A pack of standard bred poodles could down a small moose and they can be trained to fetch downed birds if they have the hunting lines in them

As for the tiny ones - they have been known to kill full sized dogs.

Seems the big dogs get all that hair balled up in their mouths and choke on it!

Bez+
And at one time they were really good water retreivers. And they're stupid little hair cuts served a purpose. The ball on the end of the tail was like a little flag. The fur balls on their joints were to keep them insulated in cold water and the big puff on the chest was to help insulate the heart.

Frankie":lz1y0tcd said:
We had a fluffed up Pomeranian show up here a few years ago. She was obviously well bred and maintained. The first time the 4-wheeler fired up, she hopped on the back of it and rode around the pasture :lol: She knew about cows, too. She understood that as long as she stayed on the other side of the electric wire, they couldn't get her. She just acted like any farm dog. We finally found her "grandpa". Her owners were moving and had left her with their dad while they were hauling stuff. She had wandered off. I have to admit that after about a week here, she didn't look nearly as spiffy as when she arrived. I have a better opinion of that dog breed than I used to have. If it wasn't for all that hair......
A little more dog breed history for you. Pomeranians were originally herd dogs that unfourtunately got bred to be small lap dogs. So maybe she still had a little herd dog left in her.

What few know is standard poodles are frequently picked for Service Dogs because they are extremely intelligent and hypo-allergenic.

FarmGirl10":227jj634 said:
Frankie":227jj634 said:
A little more dog breed history for you. Pomeranians were originally herd dogs that unfourtunately got bred to be small lap dogs. So maybe she still had a little herd dog left in her.

She was a fiesty little thing. Sissy was her name. She wanted in the house at first, but then seemed content to sleep outside. Stickers, leaves and sticks didn't stick in her hair as much as I expected. She was sure glad to see "grandpa" when he drove up, though. :) He said she rode the pastures with him on his 4-wheeler.

Pugs believe they are still mastiffs- Peiks think they are still Tibetian Mastiffs (look them up,you'll have more insight into the breed) Poms were like a Norwegan Elkhound- Poodles were a hunting dog,much like a Water Spaniel. Oh,I was looking up hybred dogs other day and came across some Standard Poodle X WOLF!!! they were all black and curley..

Latest posts