New member, new cattle lover!

Help Support CattleToday:

Fritz3410

Reaction score
I have been following the forum for some time now, and have to say I love what I read. The pictures are obviously the best, but I have learned a lot a long the way. Little back ground. The farm I help out on here in central IL. we just got into the cattle business just under a year ago. We were lucky enough to take over an operation from two older gentlemen who for a long time raised semitals for a very long time. We have started to shift to a black herd, but still have a few of the old gals around. They sure do make some really nice looking calves when crossed with an angus bull. We currently have 12 cows, turned 4 hiefers out last spring, have 5 steers that are about ready to go to market, and 11 steers ready to really start on some corn. We currently only have about 40 acres of pasture, but man is it beautiful pasture. They have done a fantastic job of maintaining it, now we are doing our best to continue that. Hope these pictures come through.
DSCN3199.jpg

Cows in the pasture.
DSCN2733.jpg

Set of free martin twins we had this year.
DSCN2079.jpg

Feeder steers from last winter.
DSCN3142.jpg

One of our better cows, nosey, very curious about everything.
Hope everyone enjoys the pictures. I keep forming more ideas about how we can improve our operation thanks to all of your posts and stories. Keep em coming!

Welcome fritz!

Sounds like you have a jump (on knowledge) compared to most newbies, which is great. The more you know now, the more likely you are to succeed.

Welcome! I grew up in Illinois, and also have "Simmental" cattle. In fact I've bought a few from breeders in Illinois. You can't beat those "old timey" blond type.. they really milk good and raise great calves!

Great pictures. I remember we could run 100 head on 45 acres at home and a 40 acre lease place... sigh...

Latest posts