New member needing help on Salmonella in my herd

Help Support CattleToday:

69zfarmer

Reaction score
I have a 7 yr. old brangus cow with a 6 week old calf by her side She got sick 2 weeks ago and quit eating I took her to the Vet. he pumped her up w/antibotics she is much better now. He called me and said she tested postive for Salmonella I have had this cow for 5 years and i have not brought any cows into my heard in 2 years. I am scared to death and thinking of selling my 65head herd.Is this cow a carrier?Would you sell her after the withdrawal period?

69zfarmer, i have never had that situation and i have no idea what the answer is. i am watching the thread to find out the answer for myself in case it happens in the future, sorry i cant help you and good luck

First thing is make sure you don't get infected. What does your vet say you can do? I looked this up in my old (outdated) vet manual. According to it,you would not want to keep the cow because she is a carrier. Not sure how you'd handle that. It lists five sources for infection. Recovered cows, Infected calves, pigs poultry and humans, rats and infected buildings and trailers. I know it's fairly common in hogs and chickens and they can spread it. Cats, birds and nasty water can too. Hopefully,somebody has more up to date, better information. I'd be pumping your vet for more information. He should be your best source, since he's there and can see what you've got to deal with. You might try searching the archives here too. Go to the top of the page, click on the search tab, and enter salmonella in the box. It'll bring up every post on this board that mentions salmonella. Good Luck to you. Hope you come out OK.

looked it up on net & it says most every herd now has salmonella in it but most doesn't bother. sounds like most comes from feed getting infected through manure. says they have found it in all feedlot cattle

my memory is somewhat dull but have vet test to findout the type an if a vaccine can be made to shoot the herd it wont be cheap but it will help so check with your vet scott

I do not fertilize w/chicken litter.Is this cow still a carrier,or did the antibotics knock it out?I worry about it getting into my ponds (may have been where she caught it)

Cow will always be a carrier, but heres the thing............

Likely if you have it now, you will have it again later, Salmonilla is virolent and will stay on the ground for some time.

Best to consider vacinations to head off any problems with the calves if possible. Not very expensive, and we use it routinely. :cboy:

Latest posts