New Member from Northeast GA

Help Support CattleToday:

WOW just WOW. So much excellent advice. Thanks everyone. All points are well taken. Finding the mentor other than you fine people on forum might be hard but I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

Other questions on my mind. Fence is a DIY project or best subbed out? Reason for asking, property that I am trying to acquire has no fence however it has around 10 acres already cleared and they do grow grass on it which is used as animal feed. what type of grass is the best? I want to say what is growing on it now is rye since winter I guess. Fence in the whole property or just what I need now and expand fence some more later as I grow with it? Fence is paid as $/foot I will assume?

Sorry for such silly questions but as my plan is getting to be more serious I have started calculating cost of this whole thing. I do learn fast.

WOW just WOW. So much excellent advice. Thanks everyone. All points are well taken. Finding the mentor other than you fine people on forum might be hard but I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

Other questions on my mind. Fence is a DIY project or best subbed out? Reason for asking, property that I am trying to acquire has no fence however it has around 10 acres already cleared and they do grow grass on it which is used as animal feed. what type of grass is the best? I want to say what is growing on it now is rye since winter I guess. Fence in the whole property or just what I need now and expand fence some more later as I grow with it? Fence is paid as $/foot I will assume?

Sorry for such silly questions but as my plan is getting to be more serious I have started calculating cost of this whole thing. I do learn fast.
I would fence the whole thing and then cross fence when you can. I build my own fence and that cuts the price almost in half.
This is a great site , there's lots of knowledgeable people here.
I have been in cattle all my life and I learn new things all the time.
Raising heifers, through calving is a tough business. I have raised my share of them and you have to know what you are doing, when to breed, what to breed to how much to feed until calving ect.
But somebody has to do it.
By the way.
Welcome.

In this area a fence contractor will be around $10 /$12 a ft for Goat fence (good for hills) poles on 10 ft centers. 3 strands of bw.
We used gripples and pull it super tight...but it has to be straight point to point between anchor post.
We have a lot of calf eaters in the area so we try to make it really difficult for any animal to enter the pasture.
An old rancher told me the most important thing is to build the ranch so one person can work it.... because when you need help usually nobody's there!

If you have the ability to have electric fencing - I would definitely recommend hi-tensile fence. You mentioned your potential farm was relatively flat. You only have to have line posts every 100' if flat. Any place that is high or low you have to have a post. You can hire someone to set posts and corner assemblies, you can easily run the wire yourself. If hot wire, 3 strands is super perimeter fencing. You only need 1 strand for dividing paddocks. I have 1 strand of hi-tensile dividing main pastures, then I use 1 strand of good polywire to separate into small grazing cells. Sometimes (early spring) they will get the whole paddock for 1 or 2 days, then next time around I may divide into 2-4 cells, grazing each cell for 2-4 days. (rotational grazing).
You may want to contact the local extension office and see what they offer for advice/group meetings, etc.
We have a great group of people on here. We all have different opinions and some of us are very opinionated and butt heads - but, you are dealing with ag people - free spirits!!! Some of us grew up in the city (me - Rhode Island - left when I was 19) - some born and raised on their farms.
Big commitment - lots of work - but, oh what a great lifestyle! I could never go back to city life. I visit family in RI - short visits. Been raising Simmental cattle for 50 years. Family comes out here as often as they can. They appreciate this life. Just spent a week of hunting/Thanksgiving together with 10 family members from RI. Wall to wall air mattresses. LOL

Hi all,

Know nothing about being cattleman. Know nothing about terminology in this endeavor. Don't own any cows or a piece of land to raise them on yet. However, I have always had an urge to do so, and I might have an opportunity here soon. I mostly read forums and do not post unless I have to. I use search function a lot.

Tell me I am crazy, my wife thinks I am but she kind of likes the idea. It would life changing experience to say the least. Been reading this forum all day long.

Suggestions and ideas are welcomed.

Thanks,
DMIINC
I'm a little delayed in my welcome but look forward to your posts. Lots of info here that can help. There are no silly questions either.

We bought the supplies and had a man put ours up for $1.25 per ft. This was October of 2020. We used livestock fence which costs more but as older farmers we thought it would hold up better. None of mine have tested it's strength but none of mine are high strung either.

Latest posts