New member from Namibia

Help Support CattleToday:

Georg

Reaction score
I am farming now for 40 years, raising indigenous Sanga cattle from cow to 4 year old oxen, without any chemical or other inputs, except good natural grazing. My biggest obstacle right now is how to retire without a willing follower. Out of my 5 children only the youngest girl would like to take over, but without husband this is not an option to us, where farm murders, cattle rustling and poaching are daily facts of life. The farm is 4700ha in size and situated central east of Namibia. Yearly rainfall around 350mm, normally over a short summer period of 3 months. Any questions?

I am farming now for 40 years, raising indigenous Sanga cattle from cow to 4 year old oxen, without any chemical or other inputs, except good natural grazing. My biggest obstacle right now is how to retire without a willing follower. Out of my 5 children only the youngest girl would like to take over, but without husband this is not an option to us, where farm murders, cattle rustling and poaching are daily facts of life. The farm is 4700ha in size and situated central east of Namibia. Yearly rainfall around 350mm, normally over a short summer period of 3 months. Any questions?
Welcome

We

Well now I gotta ask. What the heck is a US acre and how does it compare to a Canadian acre lol
I think it's the same thing but i don't know for sure. 11 000 acres I'd be happy with that but having to fight off rustlers, murders, poachers regularly i could do without.

I think it's the same thing but i don't know for sure. 11 000 acres I'd be happy with that but having to fight off rustlers, murders, poachers regularly i could do without.
Ya, I know it is, I was being flip. But I agree about the geopolitical concerns… I think. I can't profess to know much about the place but now I'm kinda interested.

Georg> You cover a lot of topics in 4 lines and close with, Any questions? So yes I do and perhaps more than can be covered here.
Given that, murders , cattle rustling, and poaching are daily facts of life can you go into some detail of what actions you take to curtail or
stop such predatory practices? Some idea of command and control and type of weaponry required would be of interest as it appears
any governmental approach is less than adequate. Are the ranches, stations, farm units (or whatever you call them) self contained or
do you live in communities and commute to where the livestock and grazing are located? Can or do you use drones in your daily operation
to observe the operation and movement of personel and inventory? I left you with a lot to chew on so respond as time permits.
Thank you, LVR

4700 Ha is a big place, would that be deeded acres or do you lease government land? I would guess you could run a lot of cattle on a place that big in that part of the world.
In this country farmers own mostly freehold land. Government purchases land for redistribution to indigenous people. This is a total disaster, as they distribute land to people that only want land for squatting. No production whatever - and soon this land turns into desert. 4700 ha is a very small unit here. Most farmers own around 8000ha going up to 35 000 ha.

Georg> You cover a lot of topics in 4 lines and close with, Any questions? So yes I do and perhaps more than can be covered here.
Given that, murders , cattle rustling, and poaching are daily facts of life can you go into some detail of what actions you take to curtail or
stop such predatory practices? Some idea of command and control and type of weaponry required would be of interest as it appears
any governmental approach is less than adequate. Are the ranches, stations, farm units (or whatever you call them) self contained or
do you live in communities and commute to where the livestock and grazing are located? Can or do you use drones in your daily operation
to observe the operation and movement of personel and inventory? I left you with a lot to chew on so respond as time permits.
Thank you, LVR
Farmers live on their individual farms. And every owner tries to defend himself as good as he can, or his purse allows. As you probably know, we have white farmers - and we have a huge majority of black people, who live in the towns, own no land, and mostly are very poor. The government of the day is very unfriendly to white people to put it mildly. And that means, black rustlers and poachers are royal game before the courts, and white people, especially farmers need to tread lightly. This means, that while we possess fire arms, we might not even point it, else we get to jail in no time. And to get out again is very difficult. So what happens to white farm owners on a land wide scale, is cattle rustling and poaching on a daily base. To manage this, we do the following: join the police reserve, organize neighborhood watches, put up cameras and patrol district roads every day. Trespassers and criminals get caught every day, but are out as fast as they get apprehended. I have a drone, but it is of no use due to limited air time. My borders are at the least 4km from the house, and maximum reach for the DJI drone is 2000m. Any drone better than this is very expensive.

Welcome Georg, good to see you on the Cattletoday site, we need a good discussion on the Namibian Sanga breeds for the interest of the ranchers in other countries.
Andrew I have my own FB page FARM GOTTESGABE - FRIGA NGUNI STUD and I manage the NGUNI BREEDERS SOCIETY OF NAMIBIA page as well. You can have a look there. And for pictures of the cattle. My web page is www.gottesgabe.com

We

Well now I gotta ask. What the heck is a US acre and how does it compare to a Canadian acre lol
If your in Texas, a US acre is MUCH MUCH larger than any Canadian acre.

Or MUCH bigger than most other states for sure..

Now, don't sound like I'd be too interested in moving to Namibia! Sounds like some old west cowboy stuff. And possibly some real discrimination going on down there.
Best of luck in your ventures!
And I'd love to see some pics of your area and cattle of coarse!

Latest posts