New Legislation Passes

Help Support CattleToday:

hraz

Reaction score
Just for information- not really a "cattle" issue but certainly an agriculture animal item. A ban on gestation and veal crates passed here in Arizona yesterday.

I'm not sure what you are referring to as far as the gestation element, but I'm tickled pink that veal crates have been banned. I sincerely hope that the State of Arizona can, and will, enforce the ban.

There are currently no veal producers inthe state so that was proactive. The gestation crate is the 2x7 metal pen each sow is kept in while she is pregnant. At the end of the pregnancy they move them to the farrowing crates to have and nurse the piglets. Then back to the geatation crate etc. They have 5-7 preganacies before they are generally used up and sent to slaughter. I am very happy with the legislation. Effectively it will simply change the pen size for preganant pig to about 7x7.

Not abunny hugger but I think that factory farming like that borders on abuse.If someone can prove me wrong ,I'm listening.Until then I'm sticking to my feelings.

hraz":1jtphhor said:
There are currently no veal producers inthe state so that was proactive. The gestation crate is the 2x7 metal pen each sow is kept in while she is pregnant. At the end of the pregnancy they move them to the farrowing crates to have and nurse the piglets. Then back to the geatation crate etc. They have 5-7 preganacies before they are generally used up and sent to slaughter. I am very happy with the legislation. Effectively it will simply change the pen size for preganant pig to about 7x7.

Thank you for explaining, and good for the State of Arizona!