New lawn mowers

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
IMGP0436.jpg

This is Marshmallow and Al Capone.Miss M is a 10 month old Llama and Al is a grandpa Alpaca who is scheduled to be sheared next week.They are two rescues we acquired and will be responsible for maintaining the grass for the remains of the old orchard on the home quarter.Their names may be changed as they don't come to them anyways :roll: .I am familiar with Llamas but is there any huge difference between the two breeds that I need to know about.Also these guys will never be exposed to the cattle; learned that lesson a longgg time ago and am much wiser ;-) .

Though I haven't had a lot to do with them, it has been my experience that llama's are the nicer of the two. Not that alpacas are mean, they're just . . . indifferent. Kind of like an alpaca is a cat while a llama is a dog. And sometimes they're nastier too. Which I why I think alpacas work so much better as herd guardians than llamas.

Boy, Al sure does need a shear. Let us know how much the fleece weighs when you finally get it off (and how much of Al remains!)

Miss M looks real pretty :) Love that face.

Those routinely come up at the sale barn and my husband always wants to get one or two. The usually sell super cheap, I'm talking 25 bucks or so. Still, I haven't let him do it. Let me know how you get on with your's.

llamas are great as long as you desire a low maintenance pet and nothing more. Please keep them away from cattle as I have had a bad experience. Also, be prepared for suprise death if you live near white tail deer. They sometimes will get sick from a parasite found in the deer but fatal to the llama. I saw a llama advertised as bred to an alpaca in the paper the other day. So yes they can or the advertiser was mistaken.

Lammie so far everything is going great they are really getting the lawn mowed and they are always talking to each other.The noises they make are really cute.It's funny but I haven't heard them do an alarm call since they have been here.My last llama would make the biggest ruckess if a strange vehicle pulled in the yard.And if they got out he would go nuts until I calmed him down.Maybe because there are two they are more interested in each other.These guys aren't with any cattle and the key to using llamas with cattle is you have to be smarter than the llama.Been there done that and I apparently was NOT smarter than that Llama ;he now has a very good life with friends. :lol:

Latest posts