New land purchase

Help Support CattleToday:

Texan":sbaxoow4 said:
Pretty good list from RAB. I'll object to this one, though:

Running Arrow Bill":sbaxoow4 said:
13. A year-around live creek would be nice; however, most important with a creek to have SIGNIFICANT "water gaps" in place so cattle don't go under the fence crossing the creek and escape.

I can't think of a much bigger pain in the ass than having running water that goes through a place. It sounds real nice until you have to deal with all of the problems that come from mixing cows, calves and creeks. Don't ask for specifics---just let your imagination run wild and you'll see it if you live long enough.

There may be places where live water is beneficial to a cattle operation. In my opinion, East Texas isn't one of those of places.

Ok...your point is well taken! Yes...cattle, calves can drown, get stuck in mud, etc., etc. My point of reference was from my growing up on our home place in SW Denton County. We had a live creek running through part of our place; however, it had a rocky bottom and no cattle could get "stuck". We did have occasional problems with our water gaps...when we got one of those raging creek downpours that swept debris into our 2 water gaps and at times broke out the gaps. Only put cattle in that pasture during "dry" times to help graze down grass & weeds.

Give em time...they'll git there. Wouldn't wish em on anyone...but I know for a fact that they are in the Midland Odessa area. So if your in the panhandle....it won't be long till you got em too. Have some friends that are in Nebraska sandhills and they have em.
Actually they don't cause too much trouble where raisin cattle is concerned. Yes they get into hay, but I've never once seen my cows turn their nose up and walk away from a bale of hay just because there were fire ants in it.

I am trying to put together an offer on a 120 acre piece that ajoins our place. It has marginal fencing, good waer, and about 30 acres of field. It is part of a 480 acre ex dairy operation owned by a semi retired couple in their early 70's. They tried to sell the whole place last year with no offers. Larger dairy operations are tough to sell but lots of folks want to buy 20 to 80 acres. I asked the owner last week if he weas interested an offer on 120 acres - - and he said they preferred to sell the entire place. No yes and no no...

Any suggestions for getting negotiations off on the right foot? I know they like the way I have improved my place, but they also have a big family that has some interest in purchasing a small piece of the farm. Any tips would be appreciated.

To help to cancel out costs you might try purebred cattle sometimes easier to sell and better money if your not running a larger herd

i know the people that has that land for sale.i can throw a rock from my pasture an hitt that farm.they are running the dozer now.cleaning the pools out.making them bigger.pushing the scrubb brush on now,either putting up new fenceor tighting the existing fences.the ranch is a 1500ac track.

i just checked all of his farms.an theres only 1 tract that i know where is.i have no idea where the other places are.still looking at the site.ended up finding 4 or 5 yracts.that is part of the big ranch i was talking about.

I wanted to let everyone know that helped me in this post, we bought our place in East Texas. About 30 acres, half wooded to go 4 wheeling and half pasture area. 1 creek, 1 stock pond, 2000 sq ft barn...and just a beautiful piece of land. We are going to start looking "seriously" into cattle after the first of the year. I want to improve the fencing first. Looking forward to it. Thanks for all your help.

Latest posts