New Horse (Pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

kaneranch

Reaction score
What do you guys think of this horse. He is an upcoming two year old, that I would have someone brake and then use as a ranch horse. Just wanted to know what you guys think before I buy. Thanks kaneranch

8833721.jpg

He's pretty nice and looks like he'd be a fairly comfortable ride if he really is as balanced as his pics are showing, Kane, but pretty is as pretty does. Question is, will he work? What's his personality like? I'd rather have an ugly horse who'll give me his all, work like a dog, and be as dependable as the day is long than one who is too pretty to get his feet dirty. (got one of those in the pasture now) Then again, if the price is right, why not go for it. I'd guess he'd be relatively easy to re-sell with his color and all if he didn't turn out like you wanted. Its kinda hard to pass an opinion from just pics. I usually like to see how they move out and how they react to their environment, but personality is more important to me than looks, meaning I can be forgiving of some confirmation flaws if their personality is exceptional.

Just my 2 cents.......

What kind of disposition should I be looking for. He is unbroke since he is a yearling, but they said that he had a very quiet disposition, and a good temperment. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks Kaneranch

kaneranch":s2jjj24a said:
What kind of disposition should I be looking for. He is unbroke since he is a yearling, but they said that he had a very quiet disposition, and a good temperment. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks Kaneranch

Sounds like you have not been along side this animal.

No insult intended here - do not know your experience level - take someone you trust with you.

Before you go decide you will spend the money if you like what you see - otherwise you are wasting your time and theirs.

Time for a drive if you are a serious purchaser - you may kiss a few toads before you find the right prince / princess.

Turn him loose in a small pen and walk up to him - if he watches you with his ears up and forward - good. If he turns his back to you with his ears down - bad.

Turn him out in a small field and see if you can catch him.

Have a good look at mom, and dad as well if he is on the farm.

Have a good look at THEIR disposition. Handle them a bit.

Watch how the present owner handles him - is he "straight up and straight at the horse"? We are with ours - not aggressive, just that we can literally walk up to them and they do not shy away.

He may not be broke, but is he curious about things or is he shy?

Does he tend to spook when you the stranger walk into the corral and talk in a normal tone - or is he a curious and friendly animal.

Can he be handled? Pick up his feet and so on. You go on and touch him. All over - how does he react?

Lots of this stuff is easy to do if he is tied - but is he happy to let you wander around him and touch him if he is not tied?

You cannot ride him if not broke - but does he have a pleasant expression or does he look at you like he might want a piece of you under the right circumstance? The eye is the window to the soul.

Go with your gut on some of these - most times you will be right on the mark.

Do not spend 30 minutes with him - spend an afternoon around him.

Check him out with some noise - if there are kids on the place do they handle him? Prove it to me please. Kids and horses go hand in hand - if he is good on the ground with them you stand a better than fighting chance of getting something that has a good temperment. It is certainly like that at this place.

If you have even the slightest doubt - leave.

Get a guarantee in writing.

Get a vet check with 100% "good to go". No 99% please.

I have missed some stuff, but others will fill you in more.

Good luck,

Bez!

I'll give you and honest opinion, but TR and Bez! covered it, he needs to be willing to do what you ask him to do. As of Jan. 1 is he a 3 yr old or a 2 yr old? All horses have birthday on Jan 1st. A foal born on Dec. 30 turns into a yearling on Jan. 1st even if he is 2 days old. So is he 2 or 3 or what is the exact birthday?

Alan

Latest posts