New Holland disc mowers 3 point

Help Support CattleToday:

hayrack

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 9, 2008
Messages
99
Reaction score
0
As bad as I hate it I am going to have to buy a mower soon. Does anyone have anything against these mowers? If so tell me about it. I will be getting a modular cutter bar mower and dont want a fluid filled bar again. Would consider a Vermeer also.
 

kenny thomas

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 16, 2008
Messages
10,618
Reaction score
542
Location
SW tip of Virginia
I have owned 3 New Holland mowers, two of the fluid style and one of the new type. The new ones are heavy and I don't like the way they mow. Pretty reliable though.
I now own a New Idea and like it a lot better. It will be a Massey Ferguson if you look at one now
 

LaneFarms

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 23, 2005
Messages
497
Reaction score
0
Location
north central florida
The Vermeer mowers are pretty good mowers and have a good quick change blade system. We have both a 3pt and a trailed mower and have had good service out of them.
 
OP
H

hayrack

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 9, 2008
Messages
99
Reaction score
0
kenny thomas":o8q04tz3 said:
I have owned 3 New Holland mowers, two of the fluid style and one of the new type. The new ones are heavy and I don't like the way they mow. Pretty reliable though.
I now own a New Idea and like it a lot better. It will be a Massey Ferguson if you look at one now
Do you know who makes the cutterbar on the Massey? Is it a Lely? You say the NH is heavy and does not cut well. Does it dig or just seem heavy on the ground?
 

OklaBrangusBreeder

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 8, 2005
Messages
347
Reaction score
0
Location
Central Oklahoma
I plan on buying a new disc mower this spring myself. When I go shopping, I will be looking at:

1) John Deere
2) Vermeer
3) Krone

Not sure yet which way I'll go....
 
OP
H

hayrack

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 9, 2008
Messages
99
Reaction score
0
OklaBrangusBreeder":1pw0txlh said:
I plan on buying a new disc mower this spring myself. When I go shopping, I will be looking at:

1) John Deere
2) Vermeer
3) Krone

Not sure yet which way I'll go....
A JD is a green Kuhn. I am going to stay away from the fluid filled cutter bars. I had a Kuhn with a crack in it and was lucky enough to get rid of it. There have been several around here that did it.
 

SaddleSore

Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2009
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Location
Central Ky.
hayrack":bs39ohxn said:
I am going to stay away from the fluid filled cutter bars. I had a Kuhn with a crack in it and was lucky enough to get rid of it. There have been several around here that did it.

The Lely has sealed drive units under each cutter head, you could run it in an upright position all day without any worries.
 

TSR

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
301
Reaction score
0
You couldn't give me a N Holland disc mower if it was like the one I had with individual shafts between each one of the spinners. Even the dealer told me they were for light duty. Around here everyone runs Kuhns. I bought one used in '95 and am still running it today. I have two more both bought used. Only problem I have had with them wa my fault. I was putting on some new skid plates and got one of them a little hot cutting off the bolt heads and now it leaks a small amount. Kuhn hay equipment is hard to beat, imo. BTW year before last after buying a new Vermeer wheel rake and wearing myself out getting on and off the tractor to make it let down on the hills, I traded it for a Kuhn Speedrake what a difference-the kuhn is so much better designed and works so much easier. Good luck in whatever you choose.
 

Poundsy

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 27, 2010
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
Location
Indiana
Caddy is the only way to go in my opinion. Neighbor got a new holland last year and after the first cutting he borrowed our old 11' IH mower conditioner. Said it didn't cut low enough and "bounced" his little AC alot. He is kinda a wierd duck though so I take what he says with a grain of salt.
 

Red Bull Breeder

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
7,621
Reaction score
1
Location
North Arkansas
Don't even remember the brand of the ones we have KT. But dropping 1 pin in the draw bar is a lot easier than getting one hooked to the three point.
 
OP
H

hayrack

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 9, 2008
Messages
99
Reaction score
0
TSR":ie54uhqt said:
You couldn't give me a N Holland disc mower if it was like the one I had with individual shafts between each one of the spinners. Even the dealer told me they were for light duty. Around here everyone runs Kuhns. I bought one used in '95 and am still running it today. I have two more both bought used. Only problem I have had with them wa my fault. I was putting on some new skid plates and got one of them a little hot cutting off the bolt heads and now it leaks a small amount. Kuhn hay equipment is hard to beat, imo. BTW year before last after buying a new Vermeer wheel rake and wearing myself out getting on and off the tractor to make it let down on the hills, I traded it for a Kuhn Speedrake what a difference-the kuhn is so much better designed and works so much easier. Good luck in whatever you choose.
The older Kuhns were good but it seems to be the newer ones that are giving trouble. New Holland does make a lighter duty mower that they sell for that purpose. Dont remember the number on it though.
 

Latest posts

Top