New Holland 853 Round Baler

Help Support CattleToday:

rcorb78

Reaction score
Ok guys, I have another baler question. I keep looking at different balers and i am trying to get opinions on different models, thanks for the feedback it really helps. This time I am looking at a 1989 New Holland 853, real good shape, no net on it, does have a monitor, some new bars on the chains, and some new pickup teeth. $7500 from a dealer, sounds pretty high to me. Whats everyone think? Problems/opinions?

Thanks,

Royce

853's are good chain balers. You might compare price on www.fastline.com , I have a 848 and I checked prices on them the other day and was shocked at how high they were.

Don't know if it's high or not for your area. I paid $1800 for my 851 chain baler a few years ago at a farm equipment auction. Wish I had waited a little longer and bought a belt baler. JMO

Nothing wrong with a good chain baler, although IMO, M&W makes a better one. Do a search through this forum, as there was a recent discussion on NH chain balers and the things to watch out for. And I don`t know about your area, but that dealer is about $2-3000 too high for an 853.

Rod

heres the facts on NH 848s 853s an 855s they are great balers.an if you can find 1 in great shape.your gonna pay high for it.so $7500 isnt a bad price.just make sure theres no bent or bowed bars.an that the floor where the floor chains are arnt rusted out.if they are thats a prob.

I love a chain baler personally. I also have a belt baler and it sucks to put it plainly. My opinion is he is way high on the price of that baler. MHO is IF it is almost perfect, maybe $5000.

I bought the baler for $5500, very good shape, paint near perfect, chains very good, 2 bent bars but that is a cheap fix. Pickup real good, floor good. Brought it home and ran it, ran good except for 2 bars bangin, then sheared a shear pin and something in the bottom half is making the slip clutch slip. I will look a little deeper tomorow. Thanks for all the help.

Royce

On any repairs that were "hidden" (ie: that which you could not have seen in the yard), don't be afraid to make the dealer come good for them. A decent dealer stands behind their sales.

Rod

I have an 853 that I bought last fall that is in as near perfect shape as you can get without being new. You can see yourself in the paint, all the bars are straight, good tight chains, no leaks or major wear anywhere on it. I paid 3750 for it. It has the bail kicker and monitor, and even came with some extra bars. After reading these prices, I feel pretty lucky to have found it.

The guy I bought it from has scolded me several times for leaving it out in the weather all winter, but I only have so much room for the toys.

I think I found my issues, upper apron chain guides are wore down to nothin and the chain is too loose. Chain catches and shears pin, also need to replace some chain links, nothin major though.

rcorb78":28mrht3i said:
I think I found my issues, upper apron chain guides are wore down to nothin and the chain is too loose. Chain catches and shears pin, also need to replace some chain links, nothin major though.

Are the upper chain guides gears or are you talking about the rubber rollers in the center? If I were you, I would inspect every bearing that the apron chain runs on. Get some slack in the chain and check each drive gear and roller for loose bearings. I just replaced all the upper bearings and apron chains in my 851 last year. NH wanted over $1000 for a pair of apron chains and I found USA made chains for it for $600 shipped.

The rubber chain guides in the center are wore down to the metal and the chain catches on that every once in a while. Good idea on the upper bearings, I will do that. I also have some links to replace in the apron chain, NH sells em for $13. Cheaper than $600 for a whole new chain. Thanks for the suggestions.

Royce

rcorb78":36tu8753 said:
The rubber chain guides in the center are wore down to the metal and the chain catches on that every once in a while. Good idea on the upper bearings, I will do that. I also have some links to replace in the apron chain, NH sells em for $13. Cheaper than $600 for a whole new chain. Thanks for the suggestions.

Royce

You need to be careful with the rubber chain guides worn down to the metal. We had an 846 with guide worn down. It wore a groove in all the bars. They started breaking in bunches one year. I was making regular trips to the dealer for new ones. Make sure there is no show of wear on the bars.

Latest posts