New Holland 845 Round Baler?

Help Support CattleToday:

Smith1000

Reaction score
I am trying to find out information about the NH 845 round baler such as how much horsepower is required to run it. Has anyone ever run one of these? From what I can tell, it will make a 4X4 or 4X5 bale. Also, I am interested in any reliability information and other info, such as does it have any issues like clogging or poor bale starting. I am looking for a round baler that makes 4 foot wide bales. Thanks.

you can pull that baler with a 70hp tractor.the 845NH baler is a chain baler.it starts bales real easy.an not a big pain.go over the baler with a fine tooth comb.an make sure the floor chain is in good shape.an the floor isnt rusted out.because if it is the floor chains wont run right.

Going into my second season with a 845. I pull it with a IH 584 (apx 60 hp) on rolling/hilly. Mine eats shear pins, but has gotten better the more I use it. The only major issue I have with mine is the previous owners "fix" between the shear plate hub and the spline shaft going into the right angle gear box. Other than that, I'm happy with mine so far.

Thanks for all of the input. Do chain balers make bales that are loose, or is there another issue with the bales that I should be aware of?

Smith1000":32aeg6sh said:
Thanks for all of the input. Do chain balers make bales that are loose, or is there another issue with the bales that I should be aware of?

I got a 848 and the bales are as tight I as would want them to be. I run the air bags at the high side of the pressure range and take my time baling. The faster you run no matter what kind of baler the looser they will be.

I did find out that the NH 845 was made in 1976 and it makes a 4.5X4.5 bale (54X54). It would run on a 40 to 60 PTO HP. This one has a hydraulic tie, so I would need dual ports, both for 2-way cylinders. I only have a set for 1 hook-up for a 2-way cylinder, which I would use for the baler gate. I am wondering if I could just install a splitter for the existing dual port and toggle between the 2 since I would not need to run each simultaneously. Anyone ever install a splitter valve for a 2-way valve hook-up? Is this something that is common? Thanks.

I have installed a few of them for other people and they work ok I put 1 one a neighbors 6610 ford

They kind I used you hook the lines in the quick attach and then it has a levr that divert the hyd to 2 different outlets his was for a grapple bucket on his loader I personally don't care for that set up as well as the other type I have used
I prefer to mount a joystick for a loader or a set of dual loader valves and plumb them directly into your hydraulics then you have 3 independent sets of remotes it cost a little more but works way better IMO most tractors shops can do the last set up for around $1000 or less parts and labor

I may just go with the plug in and lever since I do not need each function simultaneously. I would have to flip the lever for each bale. I did add a spool on my Allis D-17, but I can't remember if I bought one that is set up for 2 dual remotes. i have the other ports plugged. I think it does have a "power beyond" port. I might be able to use the baler behind the Allis instead of the tractor I usually bale with.

Latest posts