New Holland 499 Haybine

Help Support CattleToday:

cornstalk

Reaction score
Hello board,

Recently purchased a NH 499 windrower. Anxious to get er going. Have read through my manual, picked up extra guards and sections, greased, oiled, new filter, etc.

I've never really been around a haybine, have always operated self propelleds growing up. Is there anywhere online with insight on operating methods? In particular methods in opening fields etc? I'm assuming a person needs to run over grass with the tractor to get the field opened up? Do you pivot the haybine every time you turn around and make a new swath in the field? Anything I should know before I take off with this rig?

Appologise for my ignorance, just new to this setup.

Thanks for any insight.

The first thing I did was take off all the original guards and put on stub guards. Stub guards don't mow as clean as the others but they don't plug either. Also with stub guards you can somewhat mow over a windrow (ending a field) without plugging.

As far as opening a field, I take my first pass with the haybine around the outside of the field going counter clockwise. Next trip is clockwise straddling your first cut windrow. You only knock down the hay in the tire tracks on your first pass but the haybine will still cut them fairly well because the knocked down hay will be pointing into the cutterhead on the second pass. Confused? :lol:

You've run a self propelled, you'll have no problem with a pull behind. The neck does usually get a bit crimped though...

Thanks Mils.

I can see no lock on that hydro pump on the pto shaft?? Hmm.

Do you run the machine at full pto speed? I couldnt believe how fast it ran just at idle speed.

Thanks again.

I never run anything at full speed. Depending on the machine, I run them up 'till they smooth out and "sound right". Probably somewhere around 450-460 rpm.

I start a field just like Millstreamin.

First pass counterclockwise around the outside of the field then turn around and mow clockwise

There are times I will still make my first pass clockwise and then come back over it later counterclockwise. Just to avoid any surprises on the edge of field. Mowed on a neighbor's place the other day. They had been working fence and left a locust post laying in a corner. I was glad I hit it with the tractor versus the mowing machine. I like to do this also if any trees on edge of field.

Fitz

Latest posts