New Holland 258 Rake

Help Support CattleToday:

cornstalk

Reaction score
Hey board,

I have an older NH 258 side delivery rake. Seems to be a good rake, however noticed yesterday I have a pretty good leak at the gearbox seal. :(

Is this an easy fix? Will need to pull the gearbox I presume....? Any insight ?

Thanks all!

Fill her full of grease and make some hay. I worried about a leaking gear box in my old one and I noticed when I bought a new one that it was packed with grease.

No kidding ??

I just may do that...I really dont rake ALOT with it anyway. Hated to sink a lot of money into a $500 rake also. Checked it while raking yesterday and it never did seem to get very warm.

Anything else I might want to know about these rakes ?

Thanks poorboy! ;-)

How do you like your new 258 ? Mine is probably 15 years old, and rakes hay like a champ, but I've been told the 258's with the front dolly wheels are much nicer to run ?

poorboy":1prcqo6m said:
Fill her full of grease and make some hay. I worried about a leaking gear box in my old one and I noticed when I bought a new one that it was packed with grease.

It's most likely a detergent grease that turns into oil as it gets warm.

Jerk the box off and put a seal in it, it ain't rocket science.

cfpinz

The outside seal (wheel driven one) is a piece of cake. The output shaft that actually turns the rake is a PITA. I did the grease thing for several years until the grease got to where it was keeping my engagement lever from engaging all the way. I opened it up cleaned everything up nice and greased it up again. Folks are running grease in their bush hogs with no problems. My bush hog however is filled with gear lube. I put new seals in it. When they go, it will get filled with grease too.

We had one years ago , we took the fill plug out and put a grease fitting in , we used one that has a vent so we wouldn't push the seal out.

cornstalk":3vakowy6 said:
No kidding ??

I just may do that...I really dont rake ALOT with it anyway. Hated to sink a lot of money into a $500 rake also. Checked it while raking yesterday and it never did seem to get very warm.

Anything else I might want to know about these rakes ?

Thanks poorboy! ;-)

How do you like your new 258 ? Mine is probably 15 years old, and rakes hay like a champ, but I've been told the 258's with the front dolly wheels are much nicer to run ?

A 258 around here that'll put up a windrow will bring 1000.00 in a heartbeat.I just bought one a few weeks ago, and put a seal in the gear box. Had been packed with grease and was a chore, to properly fix.

Crowder,

Did your NH dealer have the seal on the output side? I'm all for fixing it right.....may use the grease trick to get me through the month, will be a good project for later this summer / fall.

Thanks

258.jpg

07-01-2007020406PM.jpg

good luck

I have been using one of these for over 20 years. I can call the NH dealer and he will drop ship the parts to me. It seems this is very popular rake and the counter guy usually knows the p/n right off the top of his head.

I often band-aid stuff to get me through the hay season but I am going to get me some of those tags with string on them and start writing needed fixes on it and tagging that piece of equipment. Then in the winter it will remind me of all the projects I saved for winter. :shock:

Last year I bought all new floor chains for the 851 because I had been breaking them. When they came in I was already baling. They are still sitting on the shop floor. Seems a little threat had the others hold on. Baled the rest of the season and didn't break another one.

cornstalk":3oix78q5 said:
Hey board,

I have an older NH 258 side delivery rake. Seems to be a good rake, however noticed yesterday I have a pretty good leak at the gearbox seal. :(

Is this an easy fix? Will need to pull the gearbox I presume....? Any insight ?

Thanks all!
The best thing you could do is replace the seals and put EP0 grease in the gearbox. You could also put EP0 in the gearbox alone without changing the seals. Many people use grease gun grease in those NH rakes but it will not flow like EP0 does. EP0 comes in 3 grades "0", "00" & "000". Do not use cotton spindle grease or corn-head grease unless it has the EP additives.

Latest posts