New Holland 210 Moco vs ?

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
Made the decision last year I was going to buy a new Moco this year. So the time has come. Got to run a new Holland 210 last year and was very impressed with it compared to a comparable Deere. I'd like to stay green but it seems like when it comes to mocos new Holland has it figured out. The price of the 210 is hard to beat as well.

I bought a new 210 last year for much the same reasons you listed. I like it ok and it works well. I did have a cutterhead come apart with about 25 hrs. on the machine. Its mechanical and these things happen but I have to say the way they handle "warranty" repairs is less than impressive. Now that may just be that dealer but I will say having dealt with 3 of 4 NH dealers here I havent been impressed with service on any of them. NH corporate was silent on the deal also and I can tell you JD doesn't let that stuff slide. Long and short is it is a good machine but dealer support may lack a lot obviously that varies dealer to dealer.

If I had it to do over again or thought I could get my money out of it I would buy a Krone or a Kuhn. A buddy bought a Kubota last year and really likes it but I haven't been around any personally.

I really like our JD 946. My best friend has a Kuhn. He really likes the draw bar hook up compared to the 2pt on the JD.

Aside from price points, I much prefer a self propelled. I hate turning around and looking behind me all the while trying to look ahead and see where I'm going! 😆

I've not run any like you are talking about aside from a Kubota disc mower. No conditioner/windrower. It's speedy. But a self propelled windrower/discbine is much speedi-er!

We upgraded from a Vermeer MC840 to a NH DB313 last year.

The NH worked well last year, leaves a nice even windrow. I cut a few hundred acres with it. The worst trouble I had was with the cutterbar plugging up with mud during one cut when the ground was really wet.

I was cutting thick sudan last year that was probably 6-8 feet tall, no trouble at all. The Vermeer would plug if you pushed it.

New Hollands quick change knife setup seems to work pretty well. It can be fiddly but it's nice not having to deal with any hardware, all you need is their giant fork tool to change them.

We also looked at the NH 312, but weren't crazy about the lack of shear protection in the cutterbar.

around here, New Holland is much more popular than JD. JD does build some great machinery but hay equipment is not one of them.

I owned a NH 7330 for about 6 years. Had very little trouble with it. With the sandy Loam soil around here cutting at the lowest level will eat blades rapidly. I cut at the 3-4 inch level, to enable the grass to recover faster and the blades life is far longer. If the budget would allow, I would buy a center pivot. I mow the outside then work from the middle out trying to maximize straight lines. Much easier with a center pivot.

I owned a NH 7330 for about 6 years. Had very little trouble with it. With the sandy Loam soil around here cutting at the lowest level will eat blades rapidly. I cut at the 3-4 inch level, to enable the grass to recover faster and the blades life is far longer. If the budget would allow, I would buy a center pivot. I mow the outside then work from the middle out trying to maximize straight lines. Much easier with a center pivot.
The centre pivot haybine changed all of or farming practices. We used to farm everything by going around in circles. Since we went to the cutting with centre pivots we farm in straight lines too in order to keep the cutting and baling processes as smooth as possible. God help the fool that tries to drive across my fields in any direction other than the direction it was farmed though.

We have two NH 1411s. Have been very happy with them. They go like the dicons through about any hay. After moving up from a sickle bar haybine, I don't know why anyone would buy a new one of them again.

So I've looked at a new 210 for 29000.00
A very lightly used 2019 with a 30 day warranty for 24000.00 .
A pretty good friend here local has a 1411 that's been on down the road.
Has fairly new gearboxes (both) shafts, cutter bar to frame bushings replaced. He says it needs a turtle. 550.00.
I'm thinking probably need to figure on replacing them all. He wants 4500.00 for it. Gonna go by and look at it . Just kicking things around. Thoughts and opinions appreciated. ... what to look for on a used ??

I'm not sure about the JD but I really like the newer style cutter bars on the NH.
The fact that one module can be destroyed without tearing up the others is a big plus to me. I also like the brake away hub design. Much easier to replace a $70 shear kit than a $800 module.

So I've looked at a new 210 for 29000.00
A very lightly used 2019 with a 30 day warranty for 24000.00 .
A pretty good friend here local has a 1411 that's been on down the road.
Has fairly new gearboxes (both) shafts, cutter bar to frame bushings replaced. He says it needs a turtle. 550.00.
I'm thinking probably need to figure on replacing them all. He wants 4500.00 for it. Gonna go by and look at it . Just kicking things around. Thoughts and opinions appreciated. ... what to look for on a used ??
On a used one I would check the main gearbox and shaft coming to the cutterbar. They are known for the seal going bad in the bottom of that gearbox and running out of oil. Play in the cutterbar, each turtle should move pretty much with next. Turn them a little then turn them back you can see how much backlash is in the gears that way. Also check the hood that does the conditioning( flail machine only) to make sure it is not all rusted out or frozen in position. Other wise basic condition and bearings. 1411 are known as great mowers, basically the original version of the 210 you are looking at.

FYI mine is a 2020 model,and I mentioned the broken cutterhead earlier. Turns out they have a recall on them, got the letter the day after I posted it. Just something to keep in mind. No repair as of yet so basically a run at your own risk and fix as it fails til they get parts.

Watch for poly twine sticking out from underneath a turtle. Listen when you check for play in the cutterbar. If you hear brushing or rubbing, there is debris that needs to be cleaned out from under the turtle. Check the slingers. If they are bent on the edge it is because they are getting thin and need to be replaced. If the slingers just have rounded corners they are still okay... that's what I was told anyway.

Latest posts