New holding yard

Help Support CattleToday:

Willstanton

Reaction score
Hi everyone, we are looking to build a new holding yard to receive cows off pasture. As our herd is increasing we have outgrown out current temporary panel setup.

How much room per cow/calf do they need? They don't come into the yards very often so I'm thinking a little more than average.

Thinking about curved or round yard over rectangle?

Needs to hold approx 400 pairs and I'm thinking water and feed as we would be marking calves over two days

Many thanks for any input

Temple Grandin has a book you can buy on Amazon that has a bunch of plans in it. That might give you some guidance.

It sounds like you may have cattle stay in it overnight. If so, it's basically a feeding pen. The space requirements for those are 100-300 sf per animal depending on how arid your region is. If it's just for catching and sorting cattle, the space requirements are much less.

Also, I don't think round is real necessary unless you are in a small pressure pen. I don't have experience with rounded pens though. Maybe I don't know what I don't know.

Yeah ok that's a lot of space maybe I'm better off doing some feedlot cable style fencing. Thanks

I built what I call a receiving pen for 100 head of calves that can double as a feeding pen. I used wood posts and wire panels. If I were to do it again, I would do pipe posts with a top rail and high tensile woven wire.

Latest posts