New Highland calf

Help Support CattleToday:

GANGGREEN

Reaction score
I know that some on this board don't see Scottish Highlands as being "real" beef cattle but they suit my needs and I really like them. I'm a relatively new cattle owner and we just had our first calf on the property yesterday afternoon. Any opinions about the cow (she's a first calf heifer) or the young bull to the right (he's not for breeding and will be slaughtered soon)? Hopefully I'll successfully post the picture, here goes.

IMG_0784-1.jpg

thats a nice looking pair.the calf looks like a ball of hair.the steer dont look to bad either.he looks big for a highland.

I've never had Highland beef, but I hear it's darn good.

Is the dark calf from Angus?

The calf is a purebred. His sire was a dark brindle bull so maybe the calf will end up the same but I'm told that they often shed out a different color at 6 months or so than at birth. Like I said, it's all new to me so I guess I'll find out.

GANGGREEN":2f3l7jdo said:
I know that some on this board don't see Scottish Highlands as being "real" beef cattle but they suit my needs and I really like them.

Who cares what they think, most of us like to talk any type of cattle, and anyone who has time on the board knows every farmer/ranch is different. It's part of what makes this board special.

Besides that the breed is one of the purest genetically and it's ability to produce beef off of rock and moss is unsurpassed. Add docility and the natural leaness of the meat and Highlands have a lot going for them.

I really like the heifer, looks like you are off to a great start.

Thanks for the pics.

Like your heifer a lot, she seems to have plenty of muscle and good capacity. Good luck with your cowherd. How many more calves do you have coming.

Thanks for the kind comments folks. 3waycross, I just have a small hobby herd of 3 yearling steers, that first calf heifer in the picture, the calf and two other adult cows, one due soon and the other in October. I'd like to add one more productive cow to the herd but at that point I'll be out of room until I pasture some other areas on the farm.

Animals look just fine but the countryside makes me homesick for Juniata County, Pa
Next to Tn I think Pa is some of the prettiest country.
SL

I really like them. For a long time Highlands was my first choice but I decided to try to go with a polled animal. Thanks for the pics. Good looking animals to me.

Ive never had the opportunity to work with this breed or see them in the sale barn. How to they measure up price wise when they are taken to a sale barn?

CattleHand, I haven't sold any at the sale barn and have never seen them there either but generally they wouldn't do well. The market for Highland cattle is either for homegrown beef, marketed directly, or for sale to hobby farmers and enthusiasts. I'm not a commercial farmer and the bottom line was never my primary purpose in choosing the breed, though I'm sure there are those who are making good money by raising and selling Highland animals and beef.

I chose them because I like the way they look, because they're extremely hardy, calve easily without interference/help, are resistant to many/most diseases and because they provide tasty, lean beef.

GANGGREEN, I too raise highland and highland/crosses. I chose them for many of the same reasons you have and have not been disappointed. You have some very nice looking cattle there, thank you for sharing the pics.