New Hereford Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

I like em!
They horned?
They are. I choose those for the enhanced genetics. They are running on an Angus herd for what I hope are some beautiful baldies. Angus have dominant poll genetics, so horns aren't a problem. I usually get the bulls out of my catch pen ASAP when they are with cows. My catch pen is pretty solid with cow panels/cyclone fencing and old grader blades and smallest posts are 6 inches. I have a Powder River work chute. I am confident they would tear up any of it if they decided.

Last edited:
Nice bulls, if I was going to be really picky I would like to see a bit more depth in the first bull. Regardless, they will make some nice calves out of black cows. We're you able to see their mothers?

Nice bulls, if I was going to be really picky I would like to see a bit more depth in the first bull. Regardless, they will make some nice calves out of black cows. We're you able to see their mothers?
Thanks. No, I didn't even go to the sale. I do have lineages, but I don't think they had dams on site.

My 2 cents : the best Hereford genetics are horned not polled .
I have been farming for years with commercial herds and whatever bulls looked good within my budget. When I developed an interest in doing more, I read that good traits are lost when breeding for polled. My understanding is that a good cross is attractive to my buyers who want sturdy stock with good potential weight gain so that's what I try to give them with my black baldies. I still consider myself a novice with much to learn and stand ready to change my mind when I get it wrong.

I have been farming for years with commercial herds and whatever bulls looked good within my budget. When I developed an interest in doing more, I read that good traits are lost when breeding for polled. My understanding is that a good cross is attractive to my buyers who want sturdy stock with good potential weight gain so that's what I try to give them with my black baldies. I still consider myself a novice with much to learn and stand ready to change my mind when I get it wrong.
Old Hereford cowman used to say "when you take the horns off a Hereford they lose more than the horns."

I have 35+ years of experience with both polled and horned. There are good and sorry in each one, as well as every other breed out there. I think that the individual breeder (traits that they are selecting for, management, and diet) and the environment that they are raised in are more important than whether or not they have horns.

Old Hereford cowman used to say "when you take the horns off a Hereford they lose more than the horns."
They also used to say that all Charolais were cow killers. The polled cattle in all breeds are so much better than they were 50 years ago that the old adage just doesn't hold true anymore.

I like them. They look like working bulls who will be able to get around and get it done.
I like them. They look like working bulls who will be able to get around and get it done.
Thank you. I was glad they sold a few within my budget. When the third one on the block went for $15,500 (highest price of the sale), I started to doubt that I would be able to afford one.

Nice bulls. IMO overall there is still a difference between straight horned and polled. We have had less problems with our horned bulls. We haven't had a polled bull last more than a year. I do have 2 polled cows that have a lot of horned influence in them. Bred both to horned bulls this year. Just bought polled semen to AI them too next year. Still trying too find that good polled sire.

Latest posts