New here

Help Support CattleToday:

michelleTexas

Reaction score
Want to pick everyone brain for information from what to feed to what vaccines to give an how often to give them how to build a cattle shoot an how to get my Longhorns tame enough to pet them brush them ect.
They were stolen all four big momma and three heifers an were abused and now the progress of getting them to trust seems farther than ever please help new at having Longhorns since I was child so learning what all poppa had to do

Attachments

• 0CE6F022-C312-4ACD-8746-ECA22331AD66.jpeg
    0CE6F022-C312-4ACD-8746-ECA22331AD66.jpeg
    766.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 148BD409-4EC5-4E2A-966E-563209E4AE19.jpeg
    148BD409-4EC5-4E2A-966E-563209E4AE19.jpeg
    500.5 KB · Views: 15
Welcome Michelle. My cows are very quite they don't get up when I walk through yet there would not be any I could pet as I have never pushed that with them. Feed is what has made them quite, always rewarded when they come into the yards when I call them Also I put them through my race and crush a lot (Australian terminology) when I synchronise them for AI, they very quickly become accustomed to the routine.

Ken

Use Either Range Cubes, or sweet feed, give them some daily, until they associate you with the food, then continue to give them some, and start moving closer to where they are eating a little at a time until they will let you scratch them, just don't startle them or they may impale you with their Horn's.... I had a guy who raised longhorns for a living,who said a longhorn cow can completely gut a horse, Just from turning their head... He'd seen it happen, he also said that they are not a good cow for beginners, because their Horn's are so dangerous.

Like Hereford2 said above, use range cubes and sweet feed to your advantage. When I'm gentling them down it involves a lot of cubes, beer, and a lawn chair.

As also mentioned above, watch for the horns. They can be extremely precise with those tips.

Were the longhorns stolen from you and what became of the perpetrators? I would think cattle rustling a serious offense in Texas!
Think of those horns as swords over which you have no control. Remember with cattle (say livestock) what can happen, probably
will. eventually to someone. I am happy for your good luck in recovering that which was lost.

Latest posts