New Here- Just wanted to introduce myself...

Help Support CattleToday:

EIEIO

Reaction score
Been lurking here for a while and decided it was time to join in.

I was not "farm raised" but both my folks were and I pretty much grew up on my grandparents farms in Kansas and Oklahoma. My dad's folks were ranchers and my mom's were row crop farmers so I've had my fair share of experience in both.

We live in what's currently the south central Missouri desert as rains have been few and far between since spring came. Hope that will change before long. We moved here last year from our farm in NW Arkansas due to a job change for my wife who is a small town physician.

Our farm is 140 acres of improved pasture with scattered timber and another 20 plus acres of woods. Stocking rate for me is down here as I sold off most of my herd when we moved and with cattle prices so high I've been holding off buying anymore but I think I'm gonna have to break down and do it anyway.

That's about all I can think of but feel free to ask me anything I might not have covered.

J

hi an welcome to the board sounds like you have got your new farm going good the itch to buy cattle will keep at you till you buy so good luck in finding the cattle you want scot

Nice to meet you. Can I borrow $20?
Welcome to the board.

Welcome aboard, and hopefully you'll enjoy it here as much as most of us do!
As far as the buying of cattle, I was told 3 yrs ago to wait because the prices were too high and they should be coming down any day now. So I waited about a yr, got my fences all done and pens all set up, then bought my first few head in Fall 2003. Then the BSE cow hit in December '03. Friends / family all told me what a mistake it was to buy right then, as prices were surely about to drop. Never happened! Prices are still high and I dont regret one bit buying when I did, since I've also sold calves into this alltime high market. Just hope it keeps up as I've got 8 fall calves to sell in a few months! So all in all, I dont know if there is ever a really good time to buy in, so just jump when you can afford to and hope for the best.

Welcome EI. I have family (well, inlaws) in southern Missouri. Lots of ROCK in their neck of the woods.

I think cattle prices are going to go down substantiall as early as this fall. I haven't bought any new stock for over a year. Well, except for that fancy bred heifer I just had to have at the last sale! I thought I'd try the reverse of the cattle cycle for a change.. buy low and sell high!