New Here! Hows he look!??

Help Support CattleToday:

welcome to the Cattle Today family. looks like he will have a nice scrotum measurement which will be beneficial for replacement heifers. it is hard to see from the side, but seems a little narrow in the chest and rump for what I like. I think he will make some nice calves for you. how many ladies will he be turned out with.

Thanks everyone! I've been watching quietly for a while now! I'm just getting into the cow business. I've secured a lease and have been buying what I could afford here and there I currently have 8 mamas and this young bull that I thought would be good to start with and for my price range. I bought him last year and put him in with 2 heifers and now have 2 bull calves from him and I like them so far I know 2 is not enough to make him a nice but a good start I think!

Attachments

• 20210610_161945.jpg
    20210610_161945.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 38
First off, welcome to the forum. I tend to agree with him not being as masculine but the calves look good so far. I know that we started out with alot of mixed stuff, that I could afford.... most of mine was half dairy.... and you keep on trying to get better. One thing to do is to be tough on the cows.... they have to produce for you. Might not be the top of the sale but they HAVE to put a calf on the ground and raise it.....
Please go into your profile and put in your general location... you can see that most of us have the state, or the part of the state where we are. I am assuming southeast somewhere... red cattle tend to be more accepted there than here in the mid-Atlantic...
Due to the severe drought in the western area and even here in some of the eastern states, you may find some decent cattle at dispersals.... and don't discount older cows that have been around awhile.... especially if they can be bought with a calf by their side.... old cows don't get old because they were mediocre... they get old because they did their job year after year...we buy alot of 8 yr and older cows... you get a good heifer out of some and you greatly improve your quality.... and they are often quieter to work with and are experienced mommas....have a couple of nice heifers that came from old broken mouth cows that we bought at little over cull price.... but what I am saying is that the older cows will also sell cheaper in dispersal sales and sometimes you can do good with them.

Thanks! Yes I'm in central South Carolina we still get docked a little at the sale for them not being black hided but I personally like the reds and I've had better temperament out of herf. Crosses! I am working towards having something for the future but it's tough to start from scratch no land, no cows, and no equipment and limited cow related funds but I think its headed in the general direction I want to go with it just going to take time and patience 😀

Looks nice to me. The tail bone is a little higher than the back and that probably will never be a problem, but I have heard that can cause possible calving problems. It could be the way he is standing or the ground is uneven. A picture from behind would be helpful.

Sorry about pic quality all cell phone pics that I take in the afternoons while I'm out walking thru them!

Attachments

• 20210708_162056.jpg
    20210708_162056.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • 20210707_164359.jpg
    20210707_164359.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 35
  • 20210708_162628.jpg
    20210708_162628.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
  • 20210612_140739.jpg
    20210612_140739.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 29
  • 20210505_162502.jpg
    20210505_162502.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
😁 Welcome. There is a ton of info on this board for some one who wants to learn.

I think you are on the right track. He is better than a lot of bulls I see people buy and they have been in the business for years. If he was in your price range and you are getting calves you like it sounds like he is doing his job.

welcome to the CT forum. Looks like you have a good start on your herd. set your goals for where you want to be in a few years and go for it. members on here enjoy helping others that ask questions so please ask if you would like a little guidance along the way. we also ask for your input on topics of interest to you.

Thanks! I like him for what he is and from what he's done for me so far but it is nice to have a little reassurance that what I'm doing is not completely the wrong way to start out!!!!

The good thing about bulls like that is if you bought him right when you go to sell him at the auction in a few years you will see he didnt cost you much to breed your cows. Then you can take the money from him and maybe add a little to it to get a better bull and then compare. Ask yourself, did the second bull justify his higher cost in his calf revenue? Keep using that info to grow and move forward.

I honestly think he looks consistent with a lot of bulls today in the mainstream. Masculine looking bulls are getting rarer. I think the trend of breeding for calving ease and carcass traits has changed the phenotype as well.
His calves look good.

Thank you! Could someone explain a little more in depth or maybe a pic of the masculine look he is lacking?? Just curious to see and understand as I thought he looked very "manly" especially since he's got more growing and mass to come hopefully!

Compare the muscle look of your bull to this one. This is just an example. Look at the head, neck, hips, chest, width, body.

prize-winning-bull-profile-of-muscular-body-CC4R3K.jpg

20210708_161636-jpg.6200

Last edited:
Should he be as filled out as that at 20 months? I was thinking he would continue to add muscle and mass for another year atleast maybe a bit more!??? Should I be giving him anything extra to enhance muscle growth? All they get now is grass and a 5 gal bucket of cubes every other day!

Latest posts