New here-Feed prices

Help Support CattleToday:

JD5210

Reaction score
Saw a ad for feed and was wandering how this compares to everyone else. East Texas prices Cattle feed for sale. It is 14% protein,3.5% fat,less than 14% fiber.Feed is sold in super bags or we can fill your barrels.$197.00 per ton

Obviously Iam new to cattle. with the little info there is this good for cattle or not? marginal etc?

Thanks by the way very helpful board, I have been lurking for months and have used lots of usefull info to help keep my little operation going.

Price is in the ball park. Whats the TDN? Is it pellets or loose? What are the main constituents? Are the "super bags" those 1000-1200 lb bags? Is there a minimum order for that price and/or are there price breaks for larger quantities. Where's it located.

JD, the price is extremely good but I would be curious as to the quality. With ingredients as high as the are now a commercial feed that cheap is almost unheard of. I would just be guessing but figure the crude fiber is probably 17% or more and that would consist of rice hulls or peanut hulls so the TDN would probably run about 55% at best. The protein will be there but that's about all you'll be getting.

thats just a tad less than $5/50 or $10/100.an thats a great price for the feed.im giving close to $12/100 for the same feed.if you have a way to handle an move the totes.id go that rout.that way you can use buckets to feed your cattle.

I'm paying 12.50 for a sweet, but can get a small pellet for 11. We're getting great gains out of the sweet, but the store is about to out price itself. I realize that typically the wholesaler is the one the does the out pricing, but I know the owner and she expects to make at least $1 per CWT or she won't sell it. Having been in the feed business for a while, you can't always make a $1 and keep your customers. JD5210 I would talk to some folks that are using it and see how its working for them. Also where is it located, it may be close enough for me, too. At that price, I can drive a little ways.

JD5210":2ij3082x said:
Saw a ad for feed and was wandering how this compares to everyone else. East Texas prices Cattle feed for sale. It is 14% protein,3.5% fat,less than 14% fiber.Feed is sold in super bags or we can fill your barrels.$197.00 per ton

Obviously Iam new to cattle. with the little info there is this good for cattle or not? marginal etc?

Thanks by the way very helpful board, I have been lurking for months and have used lots of usefull info to help keep my little operation going.

JD based strickly on price and specs I'd say it's loaded with filler and has a low TDN...feed enough and they'll gain weight.

And for feed stores making $1.00 a hundred..I wouldn't open the door (couldn't pay the light bill) if I couldn't make at least a $1.00 a bag off everything and more than that on feeds other than cattle feed. Loading feed is hard enough when you're making money. Very hard when you aren't breaking even.

Sure, I can see making $1 a bag on some things - what I call specialty feeds and such. But I doubt many stores make that on every bag that goes out the door -- a perfect world would opt for such.

Of course in this post we're talking bulk feed -- the store owner, loader, etc. never touches it. You load your own barrels or whatever it is you are getting the feed in and drive under their loader, and they flip a switch -- not much in labor cost there.

Yeah that big bulk feed tank probably cost $4-5,000 to buy and install. Bet they have a set of scales to weigh you on. Now all these may be paid for but are still a large investment. $1.00 on a $6.00 bag of feed ain't a lot even if you move a lot of feed. Folks down this way won't settle for less than $1.00 a bag. Heck they mark up a bag of corn that much and some of it hasn't even been cleaned. But we'll pay $1.29 for 16 oz. of bottled water and never give it a thought. sheeesh....but my wife does it too. And now she's on "Vitamin Water". That's a real hoot. Has about as many vitamins as me peeing in the water trough. Probably taste alot alike too. :cry:

I'm not here to argue with TexasBred, I just know what goes on here. I worked for a couple in the feed business for a while as well and they always said if they only sold feed they would have to close the door -- same was true when I was in business.

My local feed store brings in trailer loads full, then augers them into super sacks for customers.They can cut the customers a little break on the price. Paid $218 a few weeks ago for a one ton super sack. Maybe reasonable, but I hate buying feed.

TexasBred":33lsjr7w said:
But we'll pay $1.29 for 16 oz. of bottled water and never give it a thought. sheeesh....but my wife does it too. And now she's on "Vitamin Water". That's a real hoot. Has about as many vitamins as me peeing in the water trough. Probably taste alot alike too. :cry:

Not to hijack the thread but that was funny and true, got a good laugh out of it.
I have seen some others that just make you shake your head.

Caustic Burno":bat4cqpl said:
Not to hijack the thread but that was funny and true, got a good laugh out of it.
I have seen some others that just make you shake your head.

When we lived in the Mojave Desert the LA aguaduct passed a coyple of miles from us up in the mountains. A bottled water company open up right on the edge of Owens dry lake and started marketing "Spring water". It was water drawn from the aquaduct and filteredd and bottled. Except for the chlorine it was the same stuff that came out of the tap in LA.
Just proves that Barnum was right!

Well I passed on that feed. A couple neighblors recommended a place about 5 miles away that I didnt even know was there that mixes their own blend. Ended up paying 7.95 a 50# bag. They went nuts over it so at least they like it see how it does on their conditioning. The stuff I was feeding I thought they were looosing a little.

Yah thats what my butt pocket was saying, but theres always a but factoring in my time and fuel to go get the other feed it aint as bad as it sounds. At least thats what I tell myself and cfo. Its what Ive been paying all year basically but a better quality I believe.

Just called my feed store. Cheapest thing he has available is a 14% creep, 2.5% fat and no more than 25% fiber...... $244 ton. Junk :!: :!: :!:

Local MFA has commodity mix, (1/3 corn gluten pellets, 1/3 Corn, 1/3 Soy Hull Pellets) $180/ton
Another feed store here is $186/ton