New Herd Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

artesianspringsfarm

Reaction score
I'm just gonna post what I put up on my facebook but I thought some on here would like to see the new addition to the farm:

Today was an exciting day for Artesian Springs Farm. My goal in building our herd of Angus cattle has been three-fold. We want to grow our herd in numbers so we want to breed for good cows above all else. Good meaning broody female cows who have the innate ability to work hard in a low input system to bring in a calf every year while not making it miserable for us to work with them. Secondly, we want the kind of genetics that will lend itself to finishing off steers in under 24 months on forage only (no corn, no creep). Lastly, we want to eventually have the kind of genetic surplus that we could also share it with others with similar goals. With that in mind, I have studied and admired the Wye Angus program for their consistency in producing the exact kinds of cows I have in mind. Today we purchased, with our friend Robert B Groom, what we think is a special package of Wye genetics. Lot 31, AAA# 18627225 , was the whole package for us from phenotype to pedigree and we are glad he is coming back to NY with us.

True Grit Farms":15w4396l said:
He looks good and soggy to me. Is he going to have to live outside all winter like your cows?

Nothing gets babied here. :) The only luck he might have is that we have some interest in semen on him and so he will probably get collected in December and January. If not, he will either be outside here or outside at a farm that is managed similar to ours.

True Grit Farms":2ebxihmf said:
I don't know how a cow can handle that weather and thrive. If I hadn't of seen it I would of never believed it.

We got an inch of snow today and neither man nor beast were impressed. The reality is I'm five years in now and have almost totally turned over my herd because I had so many that really could not thrive in this weather and I'm not going to baby them with corn or grain if I can help it. Genetics like this bull have helped as have doing my part to get quality hay. I do think I might give them a windbreak/calving shed this year. Would like to calve out a little earlier but need to have a dry spot for the calves in order to do that in good conscience.

He looks like a really solid bull. He has a lot of depth and it looks like he has a nice back end. I hope that he does well for you.

Very nice bull-- I watched the sale video from this past year and 31 was certainly one that stood out.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1wq5psf7 said:
Well, this is an old post rejuvenated. I know Robert well, he has a GREAT eye for good cattle.

Jeanne,

I will try to introduce myself sometime at his sale or at the fair next week. I have seen your cattle and you have a heck of an eye for cattle and a program yourself. Robert and I are really enjoying working together with this bull. He's coming up here this week to help get some decent video and then the bull is heading back to stud again.

artesianspringsfarm":bl2sei26 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":bl2sei26 said:
Well, this is an old post rejuvenated. I know Robert well, he has a GREAT eye for good cattle.

Jeanne,

I will try to introduce myself sometime at his sale or at the fair next week. I have seen your cattle and you have a heck of an eye for cattle and a program yourself. Robert and I are really enjoying working together with this bull. He's coming up here this week to help get some decent video and then the bull is heading back to stud again.
Great. I will be there on Tuesday for the Supreme Show. Robert will be fitting my Sr. Yearling for the show. He is lucky. The Angus are at the fair during the Supreme Show. We go for the one day, then back again on Thursday with our show string. Luckily it's only about 45 minutes away!!!

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2yq3nphy said:
Nice. Did Robert take the pictures?

Jeanne, we were working together. I needed some help pushing him around to get decent shots so Robert came out. He took some good shots too and also this video.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/BxBaOvPGI8w[/youtube]

Latest posts