New Herd Addition

Help Support CattleToday:

andybob":12brxlio said:
Heat tolerance was mentioned at the start of the thread.
Gizmom will be fine without using Sanga breed to cross with her cattle. She's a successful cattleman with the cattle with excellent genetics and there's no reason to taking steps backwards.

I did target the comment toward commercial breeders, not Gizmom, just stimulating some general discussion and interest, as heat stress is a recognised problem in temperate breeds in southern states. Commercial crossbreeding programs are not usually considered as being a backward step when correctly planned and managed.

We do have some commercial but the ratio of commercial to angus is getting smaller each year. I don't foresee us growing our commercial herd at this point. I had never herd of the Sanga breed so it was interesting to take a look always good to look at what is out there. Thanks for the nice words on the web site we really need to update it but here I sit chatting on CT but I enjoy this so much more lol.

We have never been to the Champion Hill sale but have seen Paul Hill's cattle for years he breeds some good ones for sure.

Gizmom

Well the new cow calved this morning, bull calf and already looks like a stud, he weighed in at 98 pounds. Mamma and baby are doing just fine I will get some photos in the next week or so. I plan to flush the cow to Resource in January.

Gizmom

Did you want a heifer calf? Or didn't it really matter. Don't you have a bull test sale coming up?

It honestly didn't matter just wanted a healthy calf. We do have a bull sale next Friday as a matter of fact. One bull is out lot 12 got his BSE he passed then the next morning went out he was limping he had managed to break his back leg we have no idea how. The good news is we are going to have a freezer full og beef.

Gizmom

gizmom":eof8oaco said:
It honestly didn't matter just wanted a healthy calf. We do have a bull sale next Friday as a matter of fact. One bull is out lot 12 got his BSE he passed then the next morning went out he was limping he had managed to break his back leg we have no idea how. The good news is we are going to have a freezer full og beef.

Gizmom

Where's the pictures?

We completed our 2nd flush of the 054 cow yesterday. The first flush was on 1/4/2015 we flushed her to our now deceased herd sire Coleman EXT 6149 she had calved on 11/09/2014 so we pushed her a bit on this one. We only got 4 eggs and put them all in recips. Yesterday we flushed her to SAV Resource 1441, we got 11 grade 1 and 5 grade 2 eggs to put in the tank. We then ultra sounded the herd and found our ET work back on 1/4/2015 resulted in a 63% conception rate. This is considered good as far as industry percentages but is a bit lower than we are accustomed to. The flush to the 0524 cow and 6149 resulted in 4 confirmed pregnancies 3 bulls and 1 heifer calf. We will put some of the eggs from the current flush in next January.

edited to add the picture

gizmom

Congrats on the successful flushes and transfers....Sounds like she is working out beautifully. You will have a great bunch of cattle really quick with your plan. Good Luck. We had our first purchased embryo placed in a recip last week. I hope she sticks.