new heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

rwc

Reaction score
Well I'm trying to get back into having cows after venturing off. I purchased 8 12 month old heifers and have them in a pen at the barn getting them used to me and calmer. They are out of the same stock I had when I sold out. Mostly black, one baldy and a charlais. Should I wait until they are around 15 months or so to breed? It feels good having cows again! I want to purchase a couple of cow calf pairs....that might help calm them more?

Depends if they are grown out properly. I breed ours between 14-16 months of age. For some reason, a lot of times they settle down after they "settle" (pun intended :banana: ).
A mature female might help settle them down if SHE IS CALM. If not, she can make them worse.

The first calf heifers that I have calving now are right at 2 years old and maybe a month or two more than that by the time they all finish. Thus far, w/ 5 of them having their calves on the ground, they are doing very well. Usually I'll have them calve a bit earlier in age than this, around 21 months old or so, but 2 years old is seeming to work out really well.

Well, when you have a set time frame for calving (we have a 63 day calving), our heifers will range in age by 120+ days. If they are born end of Jan and don't calve til end of March, then they are 26 months old, but if they are born in March and calve in Jan, they are 22 months old (roughly). No matter when they are born, we try to get the heifers bred for the first 2 weeks of calving (having to lut a few), so they are "mostly" 22-24 months old.

most time people breed heifers by weight an age.they say if she weighs 750lbs she is ready to breed.an they usually try to weigh that at 15 months old.

Latest posts