new Heifers caving

Help Support CattleToday:

Glad someone enjoyed the caving mistake. I bought 12 Heifers New years eve to add to the 20 cows already bred for spring calves. Was told that all but 2 were AI, and that those were mopup bull. Seems that the Vst was not as good at prdicting as advertised. I did have 10 calve on time or within timeframe I expected, one a month later and one we are still witing for. The one we are waiting for was Mop-up bull bred. The AI was Bar EXT and we have had 7 Bull calves and 4 heifer calves. All doing great with the exception of the one bull calf we lost (leaving us with 6 Bull calves). Seems like 3 of them decided that the best day to be born was the coldest two days in Jan 0-5 degrees. None needed help being born but one bought froze to death.

Cows should start in about two weeks with new bull that we bought last yr. I had him with one of the best cows early to get him used to the place and she had hers Christmas day.

I appreciate all the comments and assure you I have looked at and evaluated several different courses of action I may take in the future. Right now I a have the newborns with all that have calved. The one who lost her calf, and had a problem cleaning seems to have dried up. maybe it all worked out. I believe that the calf she let milk her a while before real momma discouraged it might have helped her keep from Mastitis.

Again thanks for helping this newbie.

Latest posts