new heifer... maybe?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryan

Reaction score
Here are a couple of pics of a heifer I am trying to/thinking of buy from a friend of mine. Her name is Lanolin. She is roughly a month old in the pic. I love her color, that blonde with the "blaze" on her face, that's how i first noticed her. sorry about the size and quality, i took these pics with my phone.

I'll probably show her, if I can get her bought. So what do yall think? Critique her at your will!

lanolin.jpg

lanolin_.jpg

Ryan

She's pretty. I like her. Does her back always kind of angle up like that? Or was it just how she was standing in the pic? That's the only thing I really noticed. She looks nice.

Like Jay noticed the high tail but in the bottom pic looks alright, got a good set of legs under her to grow in, but I like her, small head, long body.

If she's your first project, and has a GREAT disposition, she's fine. But I don't think she would be very competitive. Four main things wrong with her, length of body, depth, she's narrow, and very lightly muscled.

6M Ranch":30hym0at said:
If she's your first project, and has a GREAT disposition, she's fine. But I don't think she would be very competitive. Four main things wrong with her, length of body, depth, she's narrow, and very lightly muscled.

She's by no means my first project, I've been showing for about 18 years now. About the competitiveness, I think it would be tough to tell on a longhorn heifer at only 1 month old, but she is in the march class, which is always huge and tough. I am not saying you are wrong, but I think she does have a lot of potential. The best thing I like about her is her eye appeal, her color and feminity is what caught my eye out in the pasture.

Jay, that top pic she is real stretched out and her head is up high, which makes her back look bad. She actually does have good topline and pretty nice hip, for her age.

Warpaint,
the current owner is Chris Schaper. He has some real nice animals. I pretty much already have her bought, basically my name is on her and we'll make the final decision at weaning.

Ryan

Considering the way she is standing she looks very nice. I would imagine she is much straighter topped than she first appears. Good depth and leg and appears to have some natural thickness about her for being a youngster.

Googly_Mooglie

Ryan":9fux2fum said:
6M Ranch":9fux2fum said:

She's by no means my first project, I've been showing for about 18 years now. About the competitiveness, I think it would be tough to tell on a longhorn heifer at only 1 month old, but she is in the march class, which is always huge and tough. I am not saying you are wrong, but I think she does have a lot of potential. The best thing I like about her is her eye appeal, her color and feminity is what caught my eye out in the pasture.

Jay, that top pic she is real stretched out and her head is up high, which makes her back look bad. She actually does have good topline and pretty nice hip, for her age.

Warpaint,
the current owner is Chris Schaper. He has some real nice animals. I pretty much already have her bought, basically my name is on her and we'll make the final decision at weaning.

Ryan
Oh okay. I figured it was just she was standin funny. She's definitely a nice heifer. Will you be taking her to any of the majors? I'd like to see her in person.

I say a GREAT hip for a Longhorn. Looks almost meaty. :lol:
If that's the business I'm in, I'm workin' hard to get that one bought.

jaydill":3u8sz3wy said:
Ryan":3u8sz3wy said:
6M Ranch":3u8sz3wy said:

Warpaint,

Ryan
Oh okay. I figured it was just she was standin funny. She's definitely a nice heifer. Will you be taking her to any of the majors? I'd like to see her in person.

I'll probably take her. I like to take mine to a few shows and what not. The best bet right now is that she will be shown in Denton at the North Texas State Fair in August.

AAOK":3m7wt1eg said:
I say a GREAT hip for a Longhorn. Looks almost meaty. :lol:
If that's the business I'm in, I'm workin' hard to get that one bought.

I am working on hard to get her, i'm pretty sure i've got her bought. Just getting him to sell her to me at a price I can afford. I am actually going to see her sire for the first time tomorrow, so i'm pretty pumped about that.

Ryan

Saw the dad of Lanolin this weekend, here at the show in Nebraska. He is a monster. he is bigger framed than my Stinger bull, but isn't as heavy or as correct. However, he hasn't been upp on show feed near as much as my bull. He is a nice bull, similar color pattern to my heifer, with a lot of horn, too.

Ryan