New Grey Bull Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

K2011

Reaction score
Well here he is...our 1st bull calf of 2009...seems like his mother's color and his sire's color clashed to get him...he is from the black bull in my last post. We have nicknamed him "Teddy" b/c when he was born his fur was all fluffed up and he resembled a teddy bear

babycalf029.jpg

babycalf030.jpg

Previous heifer calf with mom and "Teddy" and his mom
babycalf035.jpg

What kind of cow is mom? My wife loves those grey baldies. I want to find out how to get her a few. She is in love with your little calf

Welcome to the wonderful world of the dilutor gene. When a simmental or gelbvieh or hereford cow carries the dilutor gene and mated to an angus or homozygous black bull, the resulting calf will be grey. Never did understand the knock against them in the marketplace. In most of my experiences regardless of which breed those grey calves performed exceptionally well in the feedlot and on the rail.

sigpros":1cw5iszb said:
What kind of cow is mom? My wife loves those grey baldies. I want to find out how to get her a few. She is in love with your little calf

Mom's Dam was a: SIMM X Char. with just a little bit of Brahman
Mom's Sire was a: SIMM X SIMM

capt":1cw5iszb said:
Welcome to the wonderful world of the dilutor gene. When a simmental or gelbvieh or hereford cow carries the dilutor gene and mated to an angus or homozygous black bull, the resulting calf will be grey. Never did understand the knock against them in the marketplace. In most of my experiences regardless of which breed those grey calves performed exceptionally well in the feedlot and on the rail.

We really don't have too many of the greys with the white cows...last year this cow had a black heifer calf...she actually had this bull calf in less than a year's time...the heifer was born on 3-1-08 and this bull was born on 1-18-08

capt":xx5zzvwi said:

A pure hereford cow isn't supposed to carry the diluter gene. :roll:

capt":2hndydjs said:
that aint always the case, i used a homozyous black simm. bull for three years strait on red simbrah cows and braford got consistant black every season.. used a angus bull and got aleast two or three grey and some rat's every season

I went out to check on him today and found that he had been covered up in hay...almost like a blanket...
FARM268.jpg

But when he tried to get up it was almost like he was saying "O my this hay is a bit heavier than I thought!" he actually "sat" like that for about 3 seconds
FARM269.jpg

But he is a big strong boy...
FARM270.jpg

Knersie, absolutely right you are; however, according to the AHA it is now possible. I don't want to start a conspiracy theory about who, what, when, why and how it came to be in the Herefords (most all on here know anyhow), but the fact remains is that now select 'purebred' Herefords can carry the dilutor gene. The real cut that hurts in my mind other than 'excusing the rules' is the fact that most of those that carry it have a highly valuable carcass. When you peel that hide off 99.9% are all red underneath with varying degrees of white!!

Latest posts