New girls

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
I just got these mama's yesterday, they are due to drop their kids anytime from right now to 6 weeks.

Guess the breed ... lol

Considering some of the info thats around on the internet these days, do you think someone would believe me if I said they were shorthorn?

groupphoto14.jpg

no3side5.jpg

no4side3.jpg

no2side1.jpg

no1side1.jpg

groupphoto02.jpg

Ha, I didnt pick up on that, I didnt mean kids as in baby goats, I meant kids as in offspring. I've kinda got a bad habit of calling calves, piglets, lambs etc all kids as in children.

But yes, I keep accidently calling these ewes 'does' :lol2:

They've got... tails!

Is that normal?

And yes, I'll happily believe that they're shorthorns. They're no' longhorns anyway.
I don't think I've seen a long tail on an adult ewe since Britain. The standard here seems to be micro-docking.
They're shoholotas.

Yep, its normal, they are fat tail sheep. No docking.

Funnily enough, I saw a mature Merino ram the other day with a tail. Wow his tail was huge! reached the ground and would have been almost as thick as a pine fencing post.

regolith":6m0hqzy4 said:
The standard here seems to be micro-docking

People tend to dock too short here, too.

Haha .............. ha !! Funny as

You are usually pretty reliable with your photo's keren. I think you may have fooled everyone this time though!!

Nothing like a bit of fun ae

Would you like a puppy ???????????? :lol: :lol: :santa:

Keren I showed these photos to MR.HD and we spent almost an hour arguing over the fact that they were sheep. He still says they are goats.. :roll: :lol2:

With you "kids" comment and the front shots, I thought they were goats, until I saw the tails. Freaked me out for a minute. :D

lol hills tell DH that they are most definitely sheep

redpoll they are damaras. nope if I brought home a puppy my mother would shoot me. She's already cranky I bought these sheep!

brandon, my goats freaked out the first time they saw these sheep, it was hilarious

Do they behave like goats or like sheep?

They're so gorgeous... I have to keep reminding myself that the cattle (and cats and dog) keep me quite busy enough.

They actually think and behave and move like deer ... although I'm finding them very very sensible. They will run from me at the moment, but I can put pressure on them, corner them in the yard and catch them quite easily, they NEVER look to go over the fence and my fences are just very low sheep fences. I'm also very impressed that they will never run into you - normally sheep will bump into or knock you over when they run, these are very aware of the space around them and they dont run through you. I caught them tonight to preg scan, flipped them on their bums VERY easily (and I only weigh 50kg, I'm only 150cm tall) by myself, and they just layed there. Found lambs in the three older ones, not the young girl (but she was sold to me as a possible empty).

They were a real pleasure to work the big mob (160 odd) through the yards at the breeder's place ... I didnt have to walk back and forth to direct them, hardly had to move behind them at all. They LOOKED for the gates, which is unusual for sheep.

I'm also impressed that, even though they are so finely made and they dont look like they have much weight in them, OH BOY they do! They are heavy, much heavier than they look! These girls would make a good 60kg.

I'm really taken by them :heart:

Keren":1oh4kp7c said:
my goats freaked out the first time they saw these sheep, it was hilarious

The goats obviously have better taste in companions them some people do

Nice looking Damaras Keren, the in laws were running 500 head in the Okahanja district of Namibia, their country of origin there was some interest from Australian sheep breeders in the 80's wanting to target the halaal export trade which favoured the fat tailed breeds.

andybob, I think that was the original idea but now people are starting to realise their other benefits. low maintenance - no shearing, mulesing, docking or drenching. their flocking instinct just makes them a dream to handle, move and muster. their ability to live off nothing - considering the drought we have had for the past ten years. all in all, they are really gaining favour, both with the large number, extensive range type producers, and also the hobby guys who are attracted to the colour and the low maintenance aspect

Latest posts