New generation

Help Support CattleToday:

Odd horns on that one. Do the blues throw horns that point down?
Not really. Would more believe that's the lim sire's trait, which was passed to his daughter. Have seen her bluex grandmother and even have a daughter from her, and both have different shaped horns. But we do have two limx cows, which even have their horns cut as it try to grow into their skulls.

Another two heifers calved today. This time not very succesfully. Both were calving at the same time at the same spot. One calved first. The second had feet out, but decided that she wants the first calf. She pushed the calf's dam away, so the dam of the first calf decided that she doesn't want her calf and started pushing it with her head. Finally had to move all three to the shed and put in separate pens. Helped for the second heifer to deliver her calf as she already had lost quite alot of time with all that ruckus. Sedated the first calf's dam gave a shot of oxytocin, nursed the calf. Heifer slept for a bit, but still doesn't want her calf. The second heifer is a very attentive mom, so no trouble with that pair, except that she stopped the first one from bonding with her own calf.
20230501_131004.jpg
20230501_144930.jpg
The first pair, which will need some time to bond ⬆️
The second pair, which will be let out today I believe. ⬇️
20230501_145940.jpg

The sires of calves:
f3b9b0e0465b4db5098c39c509840db922e61353724d4e9e50b406a1d6c26c48_m.jpg
Screenshot_20230501-162259_Facebook.jpg
Both calves are heifers and both are 75% of their sires breeds.

Another two heifers calved today. This time not very succesfully. Both were calving at the same time at the same spot. One calved first. The second had feet out, but decided that she wants the first calf. She pushed the calf's dam away, so the dam of the first calf decided that she doesn't want her calf and started pushing it with her head. Finally had to move all three to the shed and put in separate pens. Helped for the second heifer to deliver her calf as she already had lost quite alot of time with all that ruckus. Sedated the first calf's dam gave a shot of oxytocin, nursed the calf. Heifer slept for a bit, but still doesn't want her calf. The second heifer is a very attentive mom, so no trouble with that pair, except that she stopped the first one from bonding with her own calf.
View attachment 29528
View attachment 29529
The first pair, which will need some time to bond ⬆️
The second pair, which will be let out today I believe. ⬇️
View attachment 29530

The sires of calves:
View attachment 29531
View attachment 29532
Both calves are heifers and both are 75% of their sires breeds.
European bulls make American bulls look like heifers...

Been watching your posts a long time. It is interesting to see how it is done in a different country.
A few questions=
Why do you seem to alternate the breed of your bulls so much?
Is it necessary to have such heavy birth weights to be profitable?
Is that rain scald, lice or something else causing the loss of hair on your heifers?

Nice cattle, but over here I look for things to be as trouble free as I can and am willing to sacrifice a few pounds for less hassle calving, particularly in calving first calf heifers

I am sure your market is much different than ours. Do you sell at auction or direct to a processor or packer?
I appreciate the effort you put into your operation.

Been watching your posts a long time. It is interesting to see how it is done in a different country.
A few questions=
Why do you seem to alternate the breed of your bulls so much?
Is it necessary to have such heavy birth weights to be profitable?
Is that rain scald, lice or something else causing the loss of hair on your heifers?

Nice cattle, but over here I look for things to be as trouble free as I can and am willing to sacrifice a few pounds for less hassle calving, particularly in calving first calf heifers

I am sure your market is much different than ours. Do you sell at auction or direct to a processor or packer?
I appreciate the effort you put into your operation.
Using different breeds bulls to get more heterosis and to get a more consistent offspring. Mostly because that we had several breeds in our cows to begin with.
What is heavy for some is an average for other. Our current average bw is around 100lbs. It's normal for this part of the world. We do not breed for heavy birth weights. It's not our goal, but also we don't like very easy calving bulls, so sometimes calves are born heavier, especially when a couple breeds are thrown into a mix.
All are shedding their winter coats pretty much. The ugly phase.
This year all heifers got easy calving bulls pretty much.
Sometimes we sell weanlings, sometimes fatten bulls and sell to the slaughterhouse.

20230510_152507.jpg
20230509_082703.jpg
Had one heifer calved two days ago. Had culard charolais bull calf, unassisted at 282 days gestation. Heifer herself is simxlimxcharx.
Another heifer calved today. However, she decided that she wants an older calf even when she was in labour, so after she dropped her own calf she continued to follow the other calf.
20230510_212017.jpg
Brought both heifer and her calf to the shed in hope that will manage to bond them. This little one is sired by the lim, 292 days gestation and a heifer.
So far both bull calves from heifers were born from sexed semen and the rest are heifers 🤔 four left, so will see what those will have.

Pic of currently favorite heifer. Photo taken when she was 15 days old.
20230508_162638.jpg
20230508_124013.jpg
Other older calves from heifers are filling out nicely as well.
20230508_162443.jpg
20230508_161113.jpg
These should be one of the best group of calves from heifers I think.
Other two heifers are due on the 19th and 28th. The first will carry close to 300 days I'm certain, so shouldn't get a calf until June from her.

Pic of currently favorite heifer. Photo taken when she was 15 days old.
View attachment 29977
View attachment 29978
Other older calves from heifers are filling out nicely as well.
View attachment 29979
View attachment 29980
These should be one of the best group of calves from heifers I think.
Other two heifers are due on the 19th and 28th. The first will carry close to 300 days I'm certain, so shouldn't get a calf until June from her.
That's some gorgeous calf... and the other one ain't bad either. That heifer reminds me of the calves I was getting in Arkansas. I miss that place.

Nice calves. That's a lot of muscle already showing in that 15 day old calf and a lot of thickness too.
What breed of bull is that first bull pictured in your post from May 1?

Managed to graft back the calf to the heifer, thankfully. However, she has to be kept away from that calf, which she was so interested into as she doesn't leave it's side and forgets about her own calf.
20230519_174411.jpg

Today had another heifer calved. 288 days gestation, sired by blonde out of blonde cross heifer, so that makes 75% blonde heifer calf.
20230522_191320.jpg

Another calf is becoming a real eye catcher.
20230521_203952.jpg
20230520_122328.jpg
Pictured at 11days age.

I am not familiar with the Parthenaise breed, the bull looks good.
Is the second bull a Simmental? He is a good looking bull too.
Yes, Simmental. He should add some growth. Have another simmental in the tank at the moment, but no calves on the ground yet. Got our first simmental cross female to calve for the first time laat year, so still geeting a feeling about the breed, but so far see only possitive things.
Parthenaise is a Frech breed. Fairly young, with it's popularity growing more bit by bit. Have some plans to get some pure heifers in the future myself.

Yes, Simmental. He should add some growth. Have another simmental in the tank at the moment, but no calves on the ground yet. Got our first simmental cross female to calve for the first time laat year, so still geeting a feeling about the breed, but so far see only possitive things.
Parthenaise is a Frech breed. Fairly young, with it's popularity growing more bit by bit. Have some plans to get some pure heifers in the future myself.
We are similarly just starting to use some Simmental bulls. The last two bulls we purchased have been Simmental.

Latest posts