New generation

Help Support CattleToday:

Another heifer calved today. 296 days gestation, around 110lbs parthenaise sired bull calf. Provided some assistance due to the lenght of the gestation.
IMG_20220621_153422.jpg
IMG_20220621_152609.jpg

Update on the heifer, which calved before this one. Two quarters hard as rock- no milk, another two quarters softer- hardly a glass of milk from both. Had separated the calf, he was sick and started nursing from the bottle only 5 days later. Now he is adopted by the cow, which recently lost her own 3 days old calf. Both doing well now, calf was sick again two days after being adopted, but after treatment he got better fast. The new adoptive mom and a little yellow calf. His biological mom will be sold for slaughter in July.
IMG_20220619_115152.jpg

Another heifer calved this morning. 295 days gestation, parthenaise sired heifer. Heifer herself is blonde from limx cow, was a heifer's calf too.
IMG_20220704_094155.jpg
IMG_20220704_093846.jpg
Have two more incalf heifers. Both will calve much later. Will be the last ones to calve this year. So far from 9 calved heifers, one is in the cull list as she didn't had any milk. Other are doing a good job with their calves and some have been already AI'ed and they went silent.

Continuing with a new group of heifers put for AI for this year. 11 heifers, a whole lot of different breeds, but I'll probably will use four bulls for them- charolais, limousin, parthenaise and piedmontese.
Have AI'ed two heifers yesterday and two more three days ago, so only 7 are left for their first round.
Some of them:
IMG_20220712_123941.jpg
Simmental sired from limxcharx cow.
IMG_20220711_102410.jpg
Piedmontese from 7/8 lim cow, AI'ed to piedmontese yesterday.

IMG_20220712_123647.jpg
3/4 lim heifer.
IMG_20220711_102857.jpg

Continuing with a new group of heifers put for AI for this year. 11 heifers, a whole lot of different breeds, but I'll probably will use four bulls for them- charolais, limousin, parthenaise and piedmontese.
Have AI'ed two heifers yesterday and two more three days ago, so only 7 are left for their first round.
Some of them:
View attachment 18909
Simmental sired from limxcharx cow.
View attachment 18910
Piedmontese from 7/8 lim cow, AI'ed to piedmontese yesterday.

View attachment 18911
3/4 lim heifer.
View attachment 18912
@lithuanian farmer what age do you typically breed your heifers? Just curious if you have them a little older since your average BWs are so high or if they are calving right around 24 months. Nice group of heifers too especially that red blazed face heifer 83430

It amazes me the consistency you have in your cattle with all the different breeds you use. They are the same type and what works on your environment.

@lithuanian farmer what age do you typically breed your heifers? Just curious if you have them a little older since your average BWs are so high or if they are calving right around 24 months. Nice group of heifers too especially that red blazed face heifer 83430
Breeding at +-2years. Tried calving at 2years age, but that system didn't work out for us. Needs to push heifers more to reach a good size for breeding and they need a very good grass, minerals, etc., to get them back incalf soon and to keep them growing after their first calf. Calving them older worked the best to me. Fully mature, don't need to push with meal, come back inheat soon and get incalf at 1,5- 2 months post partum. Plus some breeds are recommended to be calved for the first time abit older, like charolais, blonde.

It amazes me the consistency you have in your cattle with all the different breeds you use. They are the same type and what works on your environment.
Around 90% of the cows have at least abit of limousine in them. At least half are sired by the same bull, so that also contributes to the similarity of the calves. But also trying to choose a bull, which would suite every cow individually to get a certain type of calf. And I have a specific taste in bulls, so even with different breeds I search for similar traits in each. There are some differences in all, but with pair sellection the result is getting more uniform.

The last two heifers are counting down the last days until calving
One on 284th day today, another on 273rd day. They will end current calving season, finally.
IMG_20220823_135105.jpg
IMG_20220823_135302.jpg

New heifers group is doing pretty good with AI. All served atleast once, from 10 saw only 2 repeat, one from those repeated for the 2nd time. The 11th heifer will have her first 21 days mark after AI in 4 days. Fingers crossed she will be silent! Hopefully will have some nice calves next year from them.
Already see that there will be some nice heifers for the next year's AI. Some from AI and some by the previous lim bull.
IMG_20220812_122959.jpg
IMG_20220812_122501.jpg

Latest posts