new gelbvieh bull

Help Support CattleToday:

suscofa

Reaction score
Just bought a 14mo old registered Gelbvieh bull. weighed 1060# 94% Gelbvieh with a little angus/brahman. I have non purebred angus cows. Will post picture soon. SOB jumped a six strand barbed wire fence to get to one of my cows. Everyone happy now. No fence damage. I hope he breeds with the same energy that it took to scale the fence. What is the standard for scrotal circumference? What about motility? Where can I find epd averages for the breed. Yes I know I should have asked before purchase. I'm just curious.

Good luck with your ELKVIEH. We have been using one for 3 years and there is not a fence short of maybe buffalo fence that will hold him.

We had to build fort knox 8ft high with serious electricity to keep him away from the cows this winter.

You might also want to watch him for breeding his 4 month old daughters next summer.

Our vet says they are sexually mature as early as 4 mo, and she apparently is correct. We spent half the night last monday pulling a calf out of one of his heifers from last year to prove it.

He threw some really nice calves on our shorthorn cows but he turned out to be a real pain in the -$$ to live with. If you see a black scur horned son of a gun going down the road with a size 11 boot sticking out of his rear end it might be him.

My boys are very well behaved and the same with most of the Gelbvieh bulls around here.He seems a little light for his age but that might be a good thing as he is very agile.This means he should do very well breeding your girls and stay in shape.Go to the American Gelbvieh Association or the Canadian Gelbvieh Association and they should give all the stats you need.Angus and Gelbvieh are very close to what the scrotum circumference should be in both breads.By the way good choice on the breed.

Thanks for the comments. I have had no trouble since he has been with the girls. I will have to re-think my plans for the replacement heifers, but that's ok if he turns out to be as good as I think.

And he obviously loves the ladies.It sounds like you have got yourself a breeder.By the way even if he was 32 cm he could still be a high count bull.'Till next year ;let us know what the next generation looks like.Definately a keeper.

Latest posts