New format of boards

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have been unable to access the boards that are in the new format.What is the secret?

> I have been unable to access the
> boards that are in the new
> format.What is the secret?

I've been having the same problem. I contacted the webmaster and she has helped me come up with the right browser to get them. But being the computer dummy I am I haven't been able to get it to stay loaded. May have to get someone with a little more knowledge than me to get it loaded right.

Oldtimer

> I have been unable to access the
> boards that are in the new
> format.What is the secret?

I don't like the new format at all I can't just have a peep at it as I go past the computer. I just posted a reply on the breeds board and just because I never logged in it wasn't accepted. Buggered if I'm going to retype the reply. I'll most probably use Cattle pages more often now it has an easy format. I can't understand the need for change. The new format is tedious and no improvemnet. Colin

[email protected]

It's really gone downhill. I took the time (only 3 minutes) to register but can't tell any difference. It's a shame because I enjoy checking in when time allows. I'm sure everybody else is in the same shape, not enough time to begin with. If it's going to take more time and be less enjoyable then I for one won't be able to contribute as frequently.

Just from glancing down the pages under the new format, it appears that they are already dying a slow death. Being a cow/calf producer I never had much to say on the breeds board but I'd try to check it now and then and look over the threads that I found interesting. It used to have the most activity by far. Hardly anything since Christmas.

The boards section is free (I would never pay) and it is awfully nice of the folks that spend their time maintaining and moderating to provide it. I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but it's awfully disappointing to see something fixed when it wasn't broken to begin with. It doesn't matter what software is used, it's the thread layout that I miss, where I can quickly scroll down and see new posts, in their proper perspective.

Craig-TX

I understand you had to change due to your current software no longer being supported (or won't be in near future). Please take a look at the layout of the discussion boards found under Bull Session at <A HREF="http://www.ranchers.net" TARGET="_blank">www.ranchers.net</A> and see if that is something that would still be available going forward. The ranchers.net site is pretty similar (but not as good, in my opinion) to the "old" CattleToday" format.

And many thanks for all your efforts with CattleToday --- it is one of my favorites and I think it is very worthwhile.

on ranchers.net the problem i've seen is that the new replies don't move the old thread to the top, so you can have some new stuff at the bottom & not know.

There are several problems with this software. The main one is that it eats up server resources like you wouldn't believe. Each page you see on these Boards does not exist. They are created on the fly. This program ties up the server and causes all our other pages to load slowly. The software was state of the art when we began using it in 1998. But it has not changed since then and has been passed by virtually all the new forum software.

CattlePages's forum is the old Matt Wright version which he quit working on in 1996. We used it for a few months before we changed to this one. It's buggy as heck and has serious security problems. Ranchers.net uses software that runs only on a Miva server which runs storefront software for selling goods online. It would not run on our Linux server. It was also abandoned by the developer in 1999 and the software is not available anywhere on the net.

So our antique (by Internet standards) software is the most modern used by the three most popular cattle forums.

Since the new software used by four of our forums has reduced the forum software server load 30% I am thinking about leaving these two boards on their existing software for an extended period of time for people who like this format.

What are your thoughts?

[email protected]

It may eat up resources, but it's the fastest page loading software, for my system anyway, then any of the others. After having worked with the new stuff more, I personally think it stinks even worse then I had originally thought. Is the source code available for the existing software?

dun

> There are several problems with
> this software. The main one is
> that it eats up server resources
> like you wouldn't believe. Each
> page you see on these Boards does
> not exist. They are created on the
> fly. This program ties up the
> server and causes all our other
> pages to load slowly. The software
> was state of the art when we began
> using it in 1998. But it has not
> changed since then and has been
> passed by virtually all the new
> forum software.

> CattlePages's forum is the old
> Matt Wright version which he quit
> working on in 1996. We used it for
> a few months before we changed to
> this one. It's buggy as heck and
> has serious security problems.
> Ranchers.net uses software that
> runs only on a Miva server which
> runs storefront software for
> selling goods online. It would not
> run on our Linux server. It was
> also abandoned by the developer in
> 1999 and the software is not
> available anywhere on the net.

> So our antique (by Internet
> standards) software is the most
> modern used by the three most
> popular cattle forums.

> Since the new software used by
> four of our forums has reduced the
> forum software server load 30% I
> am thinking about leaving these
> two boards on their existing
> software for an extended period of
> time for people who like this
> format.

> What are your thoughts?

[email protected]

I think it makes it more difficult by having two different styles. Is there a simple way to jump back to this Board after looking at the Breeds board?

Your comments about other software are interesting. I know Cattle Pages has always had a problem with crashing. Ranchers works well except you have to really search for responses since new posts don't come to the top of the page. I guess there's no perfect solution.

> There are several problems with
> this software. The main one is
> that it eats up server resources
> like you wouldn't believe. Each
> page you see on these Boards does
> not exist. They are created on the
> fly. This program ties up the
> server and causes all our other
> pages to load slowly. The software
> was state of the art when we began
> using it in 1998. But it has not
> changed since then and has been
> passed by virtually all the new
> forum software.

> CattlePages's forum is the old
> Matt Wright version which he quit
> working on in 1996. We used it for
> a few months before we changed to
> this one. It's buggy as heck and
> has serious security problems.
> Ranchers.net uses software that
> runs only on a Miva server which
> runs storefront software for
> selling goods online. It would not
> run on our Linux server. It was
> also abandoned by the developer in
> 1999 and the software is not
> available anywhere on the net.

> So our antique (by Internet
> standards) software is the most
> modern used by the three most
> popular cattle forums.

> format.

> I think it makes it more difficult
> by having two different styles. Is
> there a simple way to jump back to
> this Board after looking at the
> Breeds board?

> Your comments about other software
> are interesting. I know Cattle
> Pages has always had a problem
> with crashing. Ranchers works well
> except you have to really search
> for responses since new posts
> don't come to the top of the page.
> I guess there's no perfect
> solution.

A fairly good board you might want to check out is <A HREF="http://www.pctonline.com/messageboard/" TARGET="_blank">www.pctonline.com/messageboard/</A> While I realize this is for the pest control industry, it is a pretty simple board and perhaps those who make this board could figure out how to utilize the way that board is done.

[email protected]

Dun - The source code is available for WebBBS. Problem is it's written in perl/CGI and uses a flat file database. That's why it uses so much server power. If you would like a copy let me know.

Frankie - I'll try to add a tab at the top of the page in the new boards to get back. Until I get it up, just use the back button on your browser.

jw- The software you mentioned does look interesting. Unfortunately, it is written in ASP language which will only run on Microsoft servers and won't run on our Linux server. One of the problems with our old software is that the guy who wrote it has stopped working on it.

Macon

> A fairly good board you might want
> to check out is
> <A HREF="http://www.pctonline.com/messageboard/" TARGET="_blank">www.pctonline.com/messageboard/</A>
> While I realize this is for the
> pest control industry, it is a
> pretty simple board and perhaps
> those who make this board could
> figure out how to utilize the way
> that board is done.

[email protected]

Macan- Not my cup of tea. Just curious if you had considered getting it and trying to interface it to something else.

dun

> Dun - The source code is available
> for WebBBS. Problem is it's
> written in perl/CGI and uses a
> flat file database. That's why it
> uses so much server power. If you
> would like a copy let me know.

> Frankie - I'll try to add a tab at
> the top of the page in the new
> boards to get back. Until I get it
> up, just use the back button on
> your browser.

> jw- The software you mentioned
> does look interesting.
> Unfortunately, it is written in
> ASP language which will only run
> on Microsoft servers and won't run
> on our Linux server. One of the
> problems with our old software is
> that the guy who wrote it has
> stopped working on it.

> Macon

[email protected]

> your browser.

> does look interesting.
> stopped working on it.

> Macon

I used to think I was pretty competent in the use of the English language- but all this new computerese has left me behind- My ISP provider is going to fix me up with a complete new hookup of some kind to bring me up to modern speed- Still don't understand half of it, but at least I'll be able to get on all the sites. Thanks for your help.

With the new board, how do you know witch posts you have already read? I keep reading posts I have already read. Plus, without the thread I have a hard time understanding to whom a comment or complement is being directed.

Rod

> format.

> your browser.

> does look interesting.
> stopped working on it.

> Macon

Why are some of us having problems getting the new format to work? I sent an email asking this and have not received a reply.

Rod, Many features don't work on the new boards unless you register and login. If you do and click on "Q & A Boards Forum Index" just above the topics list you go to the main index. If there is a red folder by any of the boards it has topics you have not read. Any topic you have not read is dark brown. Topics you have read are faded looking. As far as individual messages I should be able to modify the software to sort by newest messages at the top (optional) and mark the messages which are new since your last visit with the same red "NEW" used on this board. The "Quote" feature allows you to let people know which poster you are refering to, in fact you can comment on several different posts in your one message.

I have been slow making these modifications because I have already spent over 40 hours installing and customizing the new software and don't want to waste much more of my time if everybody wants to go back to the old one.

Macon

> With the new board, how do you
> know witch posts you have already
> read? I keep reading posts I have
> already read. Plus, without the
> thread I have a hard time
> understanding to whom a comment or
> complement is being directed.

> Rod

[email protected]

Oldtimer and Springer Farms - I'm not sure why you can't see the new boards. My guess is very old computer and/or software.

Try going to our Guestbook <A HREF="http://cattletoday.com/guestbook/jax_guestbook.php" TARGET="_blank">http://cattletoday.com/guestbook/jax_guestbook.php</A> and see if you can see the guest's comments. It's uses PHP language also. Let me know if you can see them.

Thanks,

Macon

[email protected]

> Oldtimer and Springer Farms - I'm
> not sure why you can't see the new
> boards. My guess is very old
> computer and/or software.

> Try going to our Guestbook
> <A HREF="http://cattletoday.com/guestbook/jax_guestbook.php" TARGET="_blank">http://cattletoday.com/guestbook/jax_guestbook.php</A>
> and see if you can see the
> guest's comments. It's uses PHP
> language also. Let me know if you
> can see them.

> Thanks,

> Macon

For your info-I kicked on to that link and can see your guestbook comments fine- tried getting on the other boards, but still get just the header- no postings.

My ISP provider is switching me over to DSL and will install a new browser for me in the next couple of days- says I should get all the sites I've been losing.

With all the snow we're getting and the predicted 40 below temps I may need this computer to see what the outside world is doing- too wintry to go to town. Feed cows and read the computer.

> Rod, Many features don't work on
> the new boards unless you register
> and login. If you do and click on
> "Q & A Boards Forum
> Index" just above the topics
> list you go to the main index. If
> there is a red folder by any of
> the boards it has topics you have
> not read. Any topic you have not
> read is dark brown. Topics you
> have read are faded looking. As
> far as individual messages I
> should be able to modify the
> software to sort by newest
> messages at the top (optional) and
> mark the messages which are new
> since your last visit with the
> same red "NEW" used on
> this board. The "Quote"
> feature allows you to let people
> know which poster you are refering
> to, in fact you can comment on
> several different posts in your
> one message.

> I have been slow making these
> modifications because I have
> already spent over 40 hours
> installing and customizing the new
> software and don't want to waste
> much more of my time if everybody
> wants to go back to the old one.

> Macon

Man, you could not pay me to be an administrator!

[email protected]

Latest posts