New foal

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
We recently rescued a foal. Turns out she is a premarin foal. She is quarter/belgion cross. It has been about 10 years since I had a foal on hand. I train and keep my horses for there whole lives so I don't have to go threw them to often.
My question is this. I know that times have changed but we always (growing up) turned the foals/yearlings out on pasture. We NEVER supplimented with things like Grow Colt or Equine Jr. The vet is swearing that it is necissary to there growth. Do you all who raise your own ranch horses feed extra suppliments/special hay to your youngsters? I don't feel it is necissary but I also know that things have changed. All my older horses are just fine and they didn't get suppliments growing up.
Whats your opinions?
Double R

If you ask me...a horse is a horse...it's not like the species changed...so I would say if you feel it isn't nessecary then don't do it...sure it would be good for foals but like you said your older horses are just fine and they didn't recive any suppliments growing up...

We breed warmbloods, we never supplement, all our babies get is high quality grain (usually Triple Crown), good free choice hay, free choice minerals (Blue Seal) and turnout (at least 4hrs. a day). We see no reason for all that supplement stuff. As long as they have at least free choice minerals and hay they should be fine, but watch her weight, you don't want her too fat or too thin.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Farmgirl91":vef4qluo said:
We breed warmbloods, we never supplement, all our babies get is high quality grain (usually Triple Crown), good free choice hay, free choice minerals (Blue Seal) and turnout (at least 4hrs. a day). We see no reason for all that supplement stuff. As long as they have at least free choice minerals and hay they should be fine, but watch her weight, you don't want her too fat or too thin.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Does your grain have suppliments in it. I have never grained either. Just pasture with a little hay when feed is scarce.
Double R

Basically grain consists of vitamins, minerals, field grains, fillers, flavoring, etc. No real supplements. Here http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/growth.php is the link to the grain we feed the youngsters. If you click on ingredients, you will see everything that is in it. They have a guaranteed analysis and feeding directions on the grain also.

Hope that helps.

Latest posts