new foal

Help Support CattleToday:

Cobbkid":2wkoul8p said:
I was wonting to no when i should start working with a foal.

Sam

As soon as you can lay hands on it without mom kicking the heck out of you.

Just touch it, pet it and get it used to you.

Bez!

Bez!":2sl8ffmm said:
Cobbkid":2sl8ffmm said:
I was wonting to no when i should start working with a foal.

Sam

As soon as you can lay hands on it without mom kicking the heck out of you.

Just touch it, pet it and get it used to you.

Bez!

Absolutely right - I had my foal halter broke, broke to lead, trailer broke, and used to blankets and such things by the time she was 6 month's old.

Make it a game, the foal will let you know when he/she is no longer interested in playing the game. Get your brushes and combs and just mess with it. You will know when he/she has gained enough trust to try a halter. Once you've gotten that accomplished, put the halter on and loop the lead rope through the fence, but don't tie it yet. Brush the baby and pet it and pick up his/her feet, scratch his/her belly, etc. Don't rush the foal and try not to scare the foal. Let him/her smell things and walk away, usually he/she will follow you out of curiosity. Let him/her smell again and then slowly approach, while talking to the foal, and brush him/her or comb his/her mane. Take the foal to the side when breaking it to lead, usually it will turn and take a step or two - pet it and praise, try again. Always give it time to get used to new things and never force. I hope this helps.

No problem! Good luck with your foal and have fun with it! :)

PS I should have added, depending on Mom's temperament and the age of the foal, you probably want to make sure Mom is tied up or in a pen next door where she can see her baby, but not stomp you. Sorry for the oversight. I don't want you to get hurt.

I had to help doctor a foal for about a month. We doctored it every day, and every day that momma would try to eat our lunch. They get pretty protective sometimes. Thanks Kaneranch

I agree. But what do you mean by working it? You know that you cant brake it that early? No ofense intended but you would be surprise how many people dont know this.

sweetyp":3hsbl47u said:
I agree. But what do you mean by working it? You know that you cant brake it that early? No ofense intended but you would be surprise how many people dont know this.

I only work new foals for about 10 minutes once or twice a day, they don't remember much at that age. But you can train young foals to halter, tie, lead, give to pressure, not bite, pick up feet, don't turn your but to me in the stall, be brushed, baths, trailer load, whoa, ect. So lots of ground work can be done by the time they turn a year old. I start as soon as I see the newborn on the ground, just gaining trust and getting use to my touch (imprinting). But no, I never ask a foal to lounge until he he about 7 or 8 months, then only for a max of 10 minutes, have to take it easy on young legs.

Alan

Latest posts