New filly ... first foal of the year...

Help Support CattleToday:

diamondn

Reaction score
Well Roxy foaled a beautiful Silver Bay Filly this week. (Yes I said Silver Bay- will be same color as dam)

filly1.JPG

filly2.JPG

homepage.JPG

Nice looking pair. Your mare looks like she's pretty darned stout, too! What breed?

Very nice pair, gorgeous head on the mare...I've never heard of "silver bay" either...usually bay is dark mane, tail, and legs, right? What's with the silver part? (Honestly, I never give a horse's patootie what color they are, just glad when they arrive safely and do well...especially with equines!)

I'm wondering if the 'Silver' doesn't come from the color of the mane and (from what I can see in the first picture) the tail? Your mare has an unusual color for both. Is this mare the horse in your avatar?

msscamp":3hmxane8 said:
I'm wondering if the 'Silver' doesn't come from the color of the mane and (from what I can see in the first picture) the tail? Your mare has an unusual color for both. Is this mare the horse in your avatar?
sort of what we call a flax mane and tail

Well we always thought that the mare was a chestnut as well. But over the internet I was told about a gene that changes the mane & Tail of a Bay horse a lighter color and that I should have the mare DNA tested for color To see if she is red (sorrel/chestnut) or black based (bay/ Black). we finally did and sure enough the mare is actually a Bay. I agree all Bays I have ever seen have a black mane & Tail. This mare (and filly) will not. The mane & Tail appeared streaked with blond hairs. (yes same mare is my avatar picture).

Breed is QH.

As a result the mare was discovered to have the Silver dapple gene which dilutes the mane & tail on black base horses. It is similar to the roan gene (dominant).

It has only resently been acknowledge to exist in QH's in the past 3 years. the dams papers say Bay but in the color description area it states carries and shows silver dapple gene.

more information can be found at http://www.equinecolor.com

Wow. Gorgeous pair there. I love the blonde mane on the foal.

Jay

pretty,pretty-got a name yet? Was reading an old Hopalong Cassidy book,had a horse named Allday,and one named Swallow.:)

Name is Sly - for that is what she is.. To smart for her own good some days hee hee

New pic.

IMG_3933.jpg

IMG_3954.jpg