new fence

Help Support CattleToday:

Yall don't know nothing about fencing techniques :lol2:

I will try to take some pics to show yall how it's done. My father in law sold me his cows and rented me his place. I have been fixing fence and found TWO spots where the 4" wooden post had rotted off at the ground. The staples holding the barb wire were fine. So he took a piece of electric fence wire and tied the post to a tree about 4' away. Then tied another piece to another tree in the opposite direction. Used it for a "stay".

When a tree fell on the fence, he simply ran some new strands over the top off the tree to the nearest post in each direction. He owns three or four chainsaws.

What's a gate hinge? Baling twine works fine.

What's a chain for? Gates in the cow lot are tied with rope.

What's a headgate? Just pour the wormer on their back.

But, with all this being said, his bank account is much fatter than mine :tiphat:

callmefence":3i5v8qfp said:
Had a old feller a while back. Goats kept getting out. I gave the place a check. He says you find where their getting out. I says , I gave up and started looking for where their not getting out... :cboy:

If if doesn't hold water it probably won't hold goats.

JMJ Farms":1m1n5pen said:
But, with all this being said, his bank account is much fatter than mine :tiphat:

Same as my Papaw, he wouldn't fix nothin if he couldn't use duct tape or bailin' twine. Died a multi-millionaire and left every penny to charity. Said in his will that he didn't want his kids or grandkids fighting over money.

Every one is welcome to do it how they would like on their fence... no doubt. That is not good for your fence long term, really doesn't solve the problem, and if you do it with gaucho... wear a face shield.

If cows are getting thru a fence it needs more posts, wires closer together, or you need to get rid of the animal. The little bit of slack that deal is taking out is not changing the game and if you think it looks better... more power to you. :tiphat:

When I was Kid I worked for an old cowpoke helping him ride fences, we saw a hole in the fence , he gets off his horse an starts checking the ground all around, I asks him what you lookin for, he says tracks, don't see any goin through the hole so it ain't no use fixin it yet. Sure did save a lot of work doin it that way. Sometimes you wait long enough the neighbor will fix it. :cboy:

Just came in from working on the fence and its done :banana: (for now at least i came up just short of wire its a three strand fence for now :cowboy: ) i didn`t post very many pictures because i dont have a good camera

Latest posts