new fed law with antibiotics

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
I have been using kent Milk replacer for over 15 years,today we went to MFA and were told we needed a vet directive to purchase it, so i called my vet, no problem, BUT they will be charging me $40 every 3 months because the script is only good for 3 months-so how is it, that after 15 years all of the sudden someone can decide that a medicated milk replacer for baby calves, which helps them not get sick, now requires a script from the vet? When i first heard about this-this is what i said this is all about the vet clinics making more money. i like my vet don't get me wrong, but this is just a bunch of cow poop!! If I would have known this was going to be on the list, i could have purchased a pallet at the end of December and been OK-see how stupid this is?
I think this is really unfair, anyone know who I can contact to complain about this?

I hate it too but you missed your opportunity to effect changes 2 yrs ago. People that don't pay attention to what going on in our government are just as guilty as the asshats that pass these stupid laws.

GMN":10tfdhpy said:
I have been using kent Milk replacer for over 15 years,today we went to MFA and were told we needed a vet directive to purchase it, so i called my vet, no problem, BUT they will be charging me $40 every 3 months because the script is only good for 3 months-so how is it, that after 15 years all of the sudden someone can decide that a medicated milk replacer for baby calves, which helps them not get sick, now requires a script from the vet? When i first heard about this-this is what i said this is all about the vet clinics making more money. i like my vet don't get me wrong, but this is just a bunch of cow poop!! If I would have known this was going to be on the list, i could have purchased a pallet at the end of December and been OK-see how stupid this is?
I think this is really unfair, anyone know who I can contact to complain about this?
It appears you did know before end of year.

M-5":2sxse3dl said:

I hate it too but you missed your opportunity to effect changes 2 yrs ago. People that don't pay attention to what going on in our government are just as guilty as the asshats that pass these stupid laws.
Too bad it's not a law, or I would feel a little better about it.

GMN":37fox85r said:
I have been using kent Milk replacer for over 15 years,today we went to MFA and were told we needed a vet directive to purchase it, so i called my vet, no problem, BUT they will be charging me $40 every 3 months because the script is only good for 3 months-so how is it, that after 15 years all of the sudden someone can decide that a medicated milk replacer for baby calves, which helps them not get sick, now requires a script from the vet? When i first heard about this-this is what i said this is all about the vet clinics making more money. i like my vet don't get me wrong, but this is just a bunch of cow poop!! If I would have known this was going to be on the list], i could have purchased a pallet at the end of December and been OK-see how stupid this is?

It is food grade antibiotic, that's what it's all about. If you're giving it in injection, no problem, just in feed, thus V- "FEED"- D (VFD).

As far as the second part, yes you would have had your feed, but no, you wouldn't be legal feeding it after the first without a vfd.

That's the way I understand it.

I don't think the vets are too excited about it either, at least my main vet isn't, and another one sold out. Not just because of vfd, but it was another straw on the camel's back.

So if he writes you a script for it, get twice as many bags as you will need; tell him you have 6 calves instead of 3.... Yes they have been talking about it for 2 years, through all this BS. I don't feed any medicated milk replacer, and never plan to. If an animal gets sick, I will treat it. I don't like feeding an antibiotic to "keep it from getting sick". I have raised hundreds of calves over the years; off farms, from the stockyards, etc. A couple of times I had gotten med milk replacer as that was all there was and I was needing it, but always got the regular as soon as I could and kept the other for an emergency. The biggest thing about calves, they need colostrum first, and then they need ALL MILK, MILK REPLACER.
The vets here have said that the scripts are good for 6 months, and that is what I have read in the paperwork that I have seen so your vet is wrong about the 3 months.
Technically you could not feed it after the 1st of the year if you had gotten a pallet of it last Dec. So how many people are going to tell the "authorities" that they bought medicated milk replacer last dec so they can feed it in 2017? If you knew about it, and knew it was medicated, then you should've checked on the type of medication to see if it was going to be under the restrictions. Certain things like corid are not restricted which is for coccidiosis.

I know my vets aren't happy about it and it definitely doesn't fall under the category of them simply "making more money". They can't just write a script without knowledge of your operation.

TCRanch":24p3yywq said:
I know my vets aren't happy about it and it definitely doesn't fall under the category of them simply "making more money". They can't just write a script without knowledge of your operation.
Agreed, most vets don't want the aggravation and extra paperwork. And so many are hard pressed to get around to regular calls and now they are supposed to come out and inspect the particular animals that they have to write a script for....

From the veterinarian's perspective, I can guarantee you that none are looking at it as a 'cash cow'; it's just more aggravation and government-mandated paperwork... they've got to maintain copies of all VFD paperwork for two years - and are subject to FDA agents showing up unannounced for inspection - and things had better be in order!

GMN":1r8sulc0 said:

I purchased 3 pallets of auromeycin (sp) fooling with goats and such its needed. My vet will write a prescription no problem but figured id buy while the price was cheap on it incase it went up.

At a cattle meeting , I asked what the vet did when he charged for his service, the answer is , he is to make a service call to your property and verify what you are doing and count the head that is to be medicated, and write a prescription on that number of head. If the vet does not do this and pencil whips the prescription he is in danger of losing his license if caught in the act.

cowboy43":3gneoco5 said:
At a cattle meeting , I asked what the vet did when he charged for his service, the answer is , he is to make a service call to your property and verify what you are doing and count the head that is to be medicated, and write a prescription on that number of head. If the vet does not do this and pencil whips the prescription he is in danger of losing his license if caught in the act.
That's where the veterinarian-client-patient relationship (VCPR) part of this directive comes in to play.

VFD and VCPR, Client

What is required for veterinarian supervision?
The veterinarian-client-patient relationship (VCPR) is the basis of professional supervision. A VFD must be issued by a licensed veterinarian operating in the course of his/her professional practice and in compliance with all applicable veterinary licensing and practice requirements, including issuing the VFD in the context of a veterinarian-client-patient relationship (VCPR).

What VCPR standard applies?

FDA provides a list of states whose VCPR includes the key elements of the federally-defined VCPR and requires a VCPR for the issuance of a VFD. If your state appears on this list you must follow your state VCPR, if your state does not you must follow the federal VCPR as defined in 21 CFR 530.3(i).

Who is the "client" on the VFD?

"Client" is typically the client in the VCPR; the person responsible for the care and feeding of the animals receiving the VFD feed.

Don't worry about it. Most medicated feeds don't have enough medication in them to do anything anyway. Learn to treat individual animals with the proper medication.

The Kent works best for me I don't get scours and when your feeding a lot of cattle it's worth it to use medicated milk replacer anyone who has ever fed calves should know the less sickness u have the better
Just saying...

GMN":u8lj5epz said:
The Kent works best for me I don't get scours and when your feeding a lot of cattle it's worth it to use medicated milk replacer anyone who has ever fed calves should know the less sickness u have the better
Just saying...
Look for one with Bovatec in it. I'm sure they probably have one. If it needs CTC give it a shot.

talltimber":3oisdaxy said:
GMN":3oisdaxy said:
If I would have known this was going to be on the list], i could have purchased a pallet at the end of December and been OK-see how stupid this is?

As far as the second part, yes you would have had your feed, but no, you wouldn't be legal feeding it after the first without a vfd.

That's the way I understand it.

And, what happens when your Dec purchased pallet of medicated feed runs out--and what happens next year?
Nothing to do except get with a vet and obtain the prescription or do as TB suggests.

Latest posts