New family member

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Saturday, my wife and I got a new pup, a 6 week old female Blue Heeler. She is my wife's first puppy.
I have a 10 yr. old Border Collie, he is like my shadow, and we are hoping that maybe someday, to have some puppies from the 2. Her tail has been docked, which I didn't know that was common for heelers, I thought that Stubby might be a good name for her. My wife named her Jip after a dog that her grandmother had.

Are you sure the tail was docked? In Australia there is a strain of Blue Healers called "Smithfields" and most are born with stumpy tails. They are very tough dogs.

Ken

wbvs58":1fqdtapj said:
Are you sure the tail was docked? In Australia there is a strain of Blue Healers called "Smithfields" and most are born with stumpy tails. They are very tough dogs.

Ken

It was most likely docked. Few actual stumpy tailed cattle dogs are bred in the US compared to heelers, ACDs, ect.
We breed true ACDs, and dock most of the pups we sell. I prefer them docked, some do not.

KY, I love your pup! She looks like the breed standard says an ACD should. I'm sure she will be a loyal hand!

Thanks y'all. The tails were docked, but they said that one of the pups was born with a stub tail.
TC Ranch, my wife was playing with her a while ago, and was on the business end of those little pup teeth, I think she was surprised at how sharp they were.

Blue heelers are great dogs. I know someone that has an older blue heeler, and that dog is by his side everywhere including the cattle pens. He works really hard to protect his owner from any cows that do as much as look as him.

Son of Butch":njbbloau said:
Ky hills":njbbloau said:
What couldn't ya find a cute one?
I don't know how I feel about buying "family members."

I've always heard that you can't choose your family, but in the case of 4 legged friends they can become a major part of family life. I have an older Border Collie that I have had since he was almost 6 weeks old. He is with me everyday and we have learned each other well, he really is like part of the family.

Coming from some one that has a year old blue healer great choice of dogs ! ( as long as u have the time ) lol my first time letting the pup work the cows she had them rounded up and up to the barn in no time flat !

Latest posts