New face of AHA

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":3j4r80b5 said:
[
You can cross any black cow with a Hereford Bull Horned or Polled and we will supply you with some BS EPD's.

CB is has already been and is being done. But.....remember the powers that be on this board do not like it one bit!!! :roll:

Do you recall ABBA?

We are still accepting registrations by the way! :D And yes you will get the CAB premiums because of course they are 50% black or more. :cboy:

Caustic Burno":33jntky1 said:
For anyone interested it is going to be SBBA, the Super Black Baldy Association. You can cross any black cow with a Hereford Bull Horned or Polled and we will supply you with some BS EPD's.

Gee, here I was going to cross some of my Hereford cows with a good black bull. You mean they won't qualify under your rules? I was really wanting some of those BS EPDs! :lol:

George

I think it is a slap in the face to every Hereford breeder that the Association is doing this ad campain. Number one if you don't know that the Hereford Angus cross is good you really shouldn't have cattle. And number two as raisers of pure bred livestock we have to pay a preimum to get that registration paper and everything else the Assoc. sticks it to us for. I think they should be bringing people into the breed and not saying "O just get ya a bull that will be good enough for us!" We pay these peoples salary and for them to do us this injustice and waste our money on such an ad campain is not right. It's also almost like saying hey your bull is good but you might as well not register it and sell it to a commercial guy. These ads will not make people use Herefords because the target audience will not simply by a bull from an ad. If Progressive Farmer is a magizine that is a tool used by novice farmers they need to have an ad with a kid leading a calf or laying down with it and get people in the breed not just using the genetics!

Ballgame23":12us00g1 said:
I think it is a slap in the face to every Hereford breeder that the Association is doing this ad campain. Number one if you don't know that the Hereford Angus cross is good you really shouldn't have cattle. And number two as raisers of pure bred livestock we have to pay a preimum to get that registration paper and everything else the Assoc. sticks it to us for. I think they should be bringing people into the breed and not saying "O just get ya a bull that will be good enough for us!" We pay these peoples salary and for them to do us this injustice and waste our money on such an ad campain is not right. It's also almost like saying hey your bull is good but you might as well not register it and sell it to a commercial guy. These ads will not make people use Herefords because the target audience will not simply by a bull from an ad. If Progressive Farmer is a magizine that is a tool used by novice farmers they need to have an ad with a kid leading a calf or laying down with it and get people in the breed not just using the genetics!

While I don't totally disagree with everything you are saying, I do think these ads are aimed at the largest potential customer base that Hereford cattle would appeal to. If the information I'm getting regarding about what Angus breeders did in the 70s-80s is correct, this is the same thing they did then, except in reverse.

Now your idea about the ad with a kid leading a calf (or laying down with it) has a lot of merit as well! In Texas, Herefords have two state associations, the Texas Hereford Assn. and the Texas Polled Hereford Assn. Members of the TPHA do a much better job of promoting the breed among the youth than those in the THA, in my NTBHO. I feel that promoting the breed with 4Hers and FFAers is of paramount importance for its future success.

George

Ballgame23":qo7av9u0 said:
I think it is a slap in the face to every Hereford breeder that the Association is doing this ad campain.

i disagree. i think it's a good ad. while i would certainly like to see herefords in every pasture in North America, it'll never happen. for one, anyone that is raising commercial cattle & not using a crossbreeding program is missing out on one of their greatest advantages.....hybrid vigor. it's free money & if you don't utilize a crossbreeding program, then you're leaving it on the table.

Number one if you don't know that the Hereford Angus cross is good you really shouldn't have cattle.

well, unfortunately, there are people who probably don't know this but are still raising cattle. and there are some that do know this, but are still choosing to run simmental bulls or charolais bulls on those angus cows.

And number two as raisers of pure bred livestock we have to pay a preimum to get that registration paper and everything else the Assoc. sticks it to us for. I think they should be bringing people into the breed and not saying "O just get ya a bull that will be good enough for us!" We pay these peoples salary and for them to do us this injustice and waste our money on such an ad campain is not right. It's also almost like saying hey your bull is good but you might as well not register it and sell it to a commercial guy. These ads will not make people use Herefords because the target audience will not simply by a bull from an ad.

targeting the commercial cattleman is smart marketing. the majority of the nation's cowherd is black, and the AHA isn't going to change that overnight. a good start is to add some white faces to that black cowherd.

If Progressive Farmer is a magizine that is a tool used by novice farmers they need to have an ad with a kid leading a calf or laying down with it and get people in the breed not just using the genetics!

disposition is one of the greatest aspects of the hereford breed (according to the recent AHA on-line poll--Disposition (199 votes - 61.0%) ) and i agree that your idea would be a good ad. but only marketing to newbies with a potential maximum herd of 5 cows won't get us very far.

imo, any increase in demand for hereford cattle is a good thing and money well-spent.

Ballgame23":8j774cp3 said:

I don't understand any of your argument. We don't really need more Hereford breeders. WHAT we need are bull buyers and semen buyers to buy their genetics from the existing Hereford breeders. Selling DNA to commercial cattlemen is how you make your living NOT by Hereford breeders swapping heifers amoung each other. MOST commercial people OWN black cows. Obviously that is the market the association needs to be targeting. IF somebody wants to go in to the registered Hereford business they can buy a subscription to the Hereford World and have more ads for Hereford females than they can shake a stick at. When most Hereford breeders CAN year in and year out sell the top half of their bull crop for $2500++ each instead of marketing 80-90% of them as $700 commercial steers; THEN you will attract more new breeders than you can shake a stick at.

As others have stated, in order for any type of breed to be successful it has to have a life line in the commercial business. Right now the commercial operations are running black cows, and the herefords provide (in my opinion) the best cross on black cows or any cows for that matter. Most commercial operations are still running the same black cows with the same angus bulls, they are losing out on what the hereford has to offer. Therefore the way for hereford success is in black cow herds. It is actually a good marketing tool in my opinion. THough I did like the add they had previous, which was a hereford bull standing beside a black cow with a baldie calf.

Ok, I don't have Herefords or Angus although I do like Herefords and wouldn't mind having a few horned ones sometimes down the road. I saw the ad in Progressive Farmer and by the way, that was my last issue as I chose not to renew it either. However, I don't guess I know what folks are fussing about. I didn't see anything wrong with the ad. For those of you who already have baldies, it may be redundant but what about someone who's just getting into the cattle business? How many people post inquiries on these boards about what breed or cross to get into? Most everybody tells them to get black or baldies. I know that this cross seems to be the going thing right now but there are people who don't know that. I thought the ad was good. I'm sure someone on here will have some rude and cute reply because they probably think I shouldn't be discussing baldies since I don't have any but I thought the ad was in good taste. Remember, not everyone has black or baldies-don't you want to convert them?

S.R.R.":2byjcan2 said:
Caustic Burno":2byjcan2 said:
[
You can cross any black cow with a Hereford Bull Horned or Polled and we will supply you with some BS EPD's.

CB is has already been and is being done. But.....remember the powers that be on this board do not like it one bit!!! :roll:

Do you recall ABBA?

We are still accepting registrations by the way! :D And yes you will get the CAB premiums because of course they are 50% black or more. :cboy:

I was starting to smell coffee, as in the coffee shop, but looks like it's turned back. :D

Still a BB brain