New Droughtmaster Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

marimus

Reaction score
Just bought this boy to put over our Charbray cows, what do you all think of him?
He is 2 1/2 years old.

newbull1smallha1.jpg

marimus":k8a19vfg said:
Just bought this boy to put over our Charbray cows, what do you all think of him?
He is 2 1/2 years old.

newbull1smallha1.jpg

What breeds of cattle make up a Droughtmaster?

i think their breeding s like beefmasters but maybe more brahman percentage... wouldnt use him on charbray here in the US though...........edit looks like they are half brahman/shorthorn ,so it more like gert

This is what I found on the breed: The Droughtmaster breed was developed in the early 1920s, by commercial cattlemen specifically for Australia's inhospitable environment. Combining the benefits offered by Bos taurus (such as Shorthorns, Herefords and Shorthorn-Devon cross) & Bos indicus (Zebus) genetics in one breed, gave the Droughtmaster a distinct advantage over many other breeds.

I would like to see him used on some english bred cattle...

angusbreederms":1z5obyqh said:
This is what I found on the breed: The Droughtmaster breed was developed in the early 1920s, by commercial cattlemen specifically for Australia's inhospitable environment. Combining the benefits offered by Bos taurus (such as Shorthorns, Herefords and Shorthorn-Devon cross) & Bos indicus (Zebus) genetics in one breed, gave the Droughtmaster a distinct advantage over many other breeds.

I would like to see him used on some english bred cattle...
bet you'd get a nice cross on strait hereford

Around here they say Cows for your country, bulls for your market. The Charbray cows do well here, they have a good parasite resistance and don't suffer in the heat. They also get up and moving to browse over the entire paddock.

The Droughmaster Charbray cross provides progeny that are easy finishing, and a carcass that the market demands.

marimus":1uxd6tqv said:
Around here they say Cows for your country, bulls for your market. The Charbray cows do well here, they have a good parasite resistance and don't suffer in the heat. They also get up and moving to browse over the entire paddock.

The Droughmaster Charbray cross provides progeny that are easy finishing, and a carcass that the market demands.
good saying, agree 100% ;-)

Good looking bull..... testicles look a little on the small side and just a touch weak in his pasterns. Definitely has a lot of capacity and depth.

Droughtmasters cross very well with Hereford. Look a bit like what you get when you cross a Santa with a Hereford, I have some Santa/Droughtmaster cross females that I've joined to South devon and Brahman. Will get a straight coloured animal.
Droughtmasters are one of the most popular breeds in Northern Australia behind the Brahman in popularity.
Colin
Nice looking bull. Most Droughtmasters look like this bloke.

Keren":2m1zxmys said:
lol British Bred cows will just lay down and die in marimus' environment
nice looking bull, looks a little soft in the rear pasterns is the only thing that jumps out at me
maybe..but i was thinking over here, not over yonder ;-)

Australian":3983f8dd said:
Droughtmasters cross very well with Hereford. Look a bit like what you get when you cross a Santa with a Hereford, I have some Santa/Droughtmaster cross females that I've joined to South devon and Brahman. Will get a straight coloured animal.
Droughtmasters are one of the most popular breeds in Northern Australia behind the Brahman in popularity.
Colin
Nice looking bull. Most Droughtmasters look like this bloke.
that's good, look's like yall have consistantcy bred into em then

Consistency is the word. Colour can vary from dark red to a lighter copper colour. But never brindle.The breed has been going for a long time so any colour discrepancy has been obliterated.I believe there was a problem at one time with some that they were a little light in the hindquarters. There was a time when there was a move to incorporate Limousin into them. thank goodness that didn't happen.

Latest posts