New Devon Bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

townfarmer

Reaction score
Just had a few new Devon calves born over the past couple of weeks. This little guy really stands out with his strut and swagger. I plan to use AI over the next couple of years and keep a homegrown yearling bull for clean up.

I'm interested in people's opinions. How much can you tell about a prospect at 2 weeks? How often is the stand out new born calf still the stand out by weaning?

IMG_5365_zpsawl2mbaz.jpg

IMG_5408_zpsq5rx6mxv.jpg

IMG_5445_zpssumptbrs.jpg

Andrew

Looks good Andrew, yeh that's a good question. I find those calves that shine early will still be amongst the top at weaning, probably courtesy of Mum's milk as well. After weaning some don't do as well as some of their peers but the quality will still be there if on the right feed. K12 that you used and his brother the year before were always nice calves but I would have just put them at the middle of the pack but both of them came through in that 2nd summer to be amongst the top bulls.

Ken

The calf looks good. I wonder about judging them early but if they stand out at a couple weeks old, they are likely going to keep moving up if they stay vigorous.

I really like the calf. He looks long, wide, and appears to be developing a nice back end. We have had a few calves that have looked really special from day one in the last few years. Some were out of some older genetics, and others were out of our current herd bull. In our experience, the heifers that look great from early on tend to stay that way. In comparison, some of the bull calves become more average after a few months, while others continue to look great and grow into great looking bulls.

wbvs58":3qwlkce3 said:
Looks good Andrew, yeh that's a good question. I find those calves that shine early will still be amongst the top at weaning, probably courtesy of Mum's milk as well. After weaning some don't do as well as some of their peers but the quality will still be there if on the right feed. K12 that you used and his brother the year before were always nice calves but I would have just put them at the middle of the pack but both of them came through in that 2nd summer to be amongst the top bulls.

Ken

Thanks Ken, interesting to hear your thoughts. I'll have to send you some new photos of K12's calves. They're 5 months old now and growing well.

Backbone Ranch":3qwlkce3 said:
I really like the calf. He looks long, wide, and appears to be developing a nice back end. We have had a few calves that have looked really special from day one in the last few years. Some were out of some older genetics, and others were out of our current herd bull. In our experience, the heifers that look great from early on tend to stay that way. In comparison, some of the bull calves become more average after a few months, while others continue to look great and grow into great looking bulls.

That's an interesting observation about the heifers. I'm hoping this little guy can keeps his good looks.

Andrew

OK well I'm bringing it into the debate. What about his dam and sire no one asked that yet. Personally I think he look great got a nice looking butt for that age. Kinda chunky too. But from my Lil research n knowledge wouldn't ya want to know how he ranks up before deciding to keep him? Now with that said if that's his dam in the last picture she is in fine order after only having him 2 weeks ago.

Petercoates87":1g556kgn said:
OK well I'm bringing it into the debate. What about his dam and sire no one asked that yet. Personally I think he look great got a nice looking butt for that age. Kinda chunky too. But from my Lil research n knowledge wouldn't ya want to know how he ranks up before deciding to keep him? Now with that said if that's his dam in the last picture she is in fine order after only having him 2 weeks ago.

Definitely no final decisions made yet. I did get a bit excited about him initially but I know things may change. I've had calves previously that looked impressive and then a couple of months later they're unrecognisable.
That is his dam in the last photo. I really like her. She's not the prettiest cow but she is always the first to breed back.

Andrew

Latest posts