New Darwin Awards 2009

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Well, these Darwin awards are not new, even in 2009...they have been around for a number of years.

The "Sand Bag" Award:

Flood prone cities periodically mobilize hundreds of volunteers, military, and others to fill millions of sand bags when a threat of river flooding is emminent (aka: Iowa, Illinois, North Dakota, Louisiana, etc.). Then, when water recedes, they collect the sand bags and dump the sand out.

Does this make logical sense? Heck No!!

Leave the darn sand bags in place after the first time. When threat of flooding is over, dump loose sand on top of bags and hydromulch grass on the new "levee" to create a new barrier. Oh...I almost forgot! The "people" don't want that unsightly levee near their house, business, etc...an eyesore...duh!

They just keep doing the same thing over and over again while no one seems to acknowledge the fact that flooding will occur AGAIN... Every time they re-do the job, then un-do the job after the threat is over...

Really a no-brainer, thus the "Sand Bag" Award. :dunce:

I wonder when the intellects in government will realize the only good thing about beating your head against a brick wall over and over and over again is that it feels good when you stop.

Jogeephus":3hjdpwl6 said:
I wonder when the intellects in government will realize the only good thing about beating your head against a brick wall over and over and over again is that it feels good when you stop.

No lottery....lottery....no gambling....gambling.....heck, lets increase tobacco tax...we need new roads by the new levies...or...just tax obese people....if you are not obese and you buy a BicMac we could ask for you obese card (showing you are not obese...less than .26 body fat) and you could pay a dollar less....otherwise, having the extra weight on the roads...should pay for the pot hole repairs.

I should think that the ACLU would have a fit about that. I did hear something the other day about a tax on candy? Cigs are six bucks and upward for a pack!!! Back when I smoked it was 3.25. It hasn't been that long since I quit.

Did you ever wonder? .... What happened to the extra ice FEMA sent to Katrina victims? ..... Take a valium and drink a few beers before you read on.

For a mere sum of $6 million, they stored it in a freezer. When someone finally woke up and said "hey, we need to do something with the ice", NO ONE knew what to do because there wasn't a written policy on the subject nor did they have an environmental impact study for what this would do. Sooooo, in their infinite wisdom they selected a think tank and transported these people together to work this major problem out. And what did they decide?

Take the bags of ice out of the freezer and let them thaw out. Then take an ice pick or some other sharp object and pierce the bags and drain off the water. Then pick up the plastic bags and toss in dumpsters. Your tax dollars at work my friends.

What could you have done with $6 million? I guess this is the "Ice Bag Award". ISYN

About the sandbag thing-they said on the news this morning that they were guessing they would need at least a million more sandbags by tonight to protect houses on the riverbanks-like that's feasible. :roll:

Last year after Hurricane Ike in east Texas hundreds of trucks were sent with ice. Many sat for several days and then taken to an air force base and unloaded onto a runway to melt.
Just a couple of months ago house trailers were still being delivered to Jasper TX and stored inside a warehouse for the next hurricane. Like to have the rental from the warehouse.

LoveMoo11":2kr7moi6 said:
About the sandbag thing-they said on the news this morning that they were guessing they would need at least a million more sandbags by tonight to protect houses on the riverbanks-like that's feasible. :roll:

I'm sure folks in NW MN and E ND would appreciate these sentiments right about now.

kenny thomas":339sinij said:
Last year after Hurricane Ike in east Texas hundreds of trucks were sent with ice. Many sat for several days and then taken to an air force base and unloaded onto a runway to melt.
Just a couple of months ago house trailers were still being delivered to Jasper TX and stored inside a warehouse for the next hurricane. Like to have the rental from the warehouse.

Thing is, those houses don't do very well unoccupied and tend to just rot standing there. There were thousands left over from Katrina and Rita standing in Hope, Arkansas. We were wondering why no one got any big orders after Ike. I guess they had surplus.

Latest posts