New Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

CosgrayHerefords

Reaction score
Recently I had the opportunity to purchase 20 head of registered polled hereford cattle. 4 are bred heifers, 16 cows with calf (4 heifer calves, 10 steers, and 2 bull calves), and a herd bull. I only have a couple pics of the bull, some calves, and some cows with more pics to come! The cows range from 1999-2007. There are 2 two year olds, 3 three year olds, 2 five year olds, 3 six year olds, 2 seven year olds, one eight year old, one nine year old, and one ten year old. The bull is four years old and is out of AA PRF Wideload and a Remitall Embracer 8E cow that will be retained in the herd. Most of the cows are outcross genetics to the mainstream genetics going back to the Fortress, Victor, and Felton lines. This years calf crop is out of my herd bull, a CS Boomer 29F bull, and a AA Boomer 611 bull.

IMG_4233New.jpg

IMG_4238New.jpg

IMG_4245New.jpg

IMG_4249New.jpg

IMG_4264New.jpg

IMG_4236New.jpg

IMG_4253New.jpg

IMG_4267New.jpg

IMG_4246New.jpg

IMG_4260New.jpg

Obviously you knew what to do when this lot came up for sale. My sincere congratulations!

You've certainly got a start.

Is the bull polled? He hasn't got a poll headshape.

I've looked at your pictures a couple times and trying to figure out what I really like so much about them, not being a "phenotype expert" or such.... came up with two things:

1) They look like good GRASS cattle. They look what I would call "thrifty" for lack of a better, more cattle term. Not bulked up fat on silage. They look like they've been on good grass and do well on it.

2) They look like mine. Or to be exact, as I hope to have all of mine look. Some do some don't currently. I'm not familiar with the pedigree names you are using but they look good. Congratulations.

How does one come across a group like this? Was this a dispersal sale?

And thank you for posting the pictures. You sound like a proud new Daddy... And I think that's a good way to feel about your cattle, imho.

Thank you. Jim

KNERSIE":1jb1ptun said:
You've certainly got a start.

Is the bull polled? He hasn't got a poll headshape.

Neither does the calf. I'm not saying they are bad or anything like that but the poll is certainly not obvious

How does one come across a group like this? Was this a dispersal sale?

I guess you could say it was a dispersal kind of. The guy I bought them from is 81 and has been raising polled herefords for 59 years and was wanting to get out of it and has been scaling down for about 10 years now and decided to get rid of them all. He did not want to send them to market and I am 23 and just getting my herd started and he decided to let me have my start!

Sounds like one great guy. I hope you make the most of the opportunity you have been given.

They are real good looking cattle and a solid base from which to grow.

What's your plans for your herd? will you stay registered? Are planning on doing any AI work? what bulls do you plan on using?

Idaville is not that far from me at Morocco, maybe we could get together sometime and do some trading, I need a few more hereford cows, and you could probably use some angus. :)

KMacGinley":3c81c5r2 said:
Idaville is not that far from me at Morocco, maybe we could get together sometime and do some trading, I need a few more hereford cows, and you could probably use some angus. :)

You keep them dammed angus away from your Herfs - best way to ruin a red herd is throw some black in it. 8)

Your Herfs look decent - you will have some horns coming - head shapes do not lie.

So - do yourself a favour and show them.

Find some weights or shave the horns so you get the traditional downward curve - they look good when trained.

Have fun - feed them well and enjoy.

Finally - I am on my last week of R&R at home - return to the desert next week - be careful all - and have your infrastructure set up to control them when you handle them - and you will have to do this - a neighbour was killed by a yearling Angus heifer last Monday - she took him in the chute - not a pretty thing - they are ALL strong - even the quiet ones can do you if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Bez+

Latest posts