New Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Little Joe

Reaction score
Picked up these 2 young cows Monday at the sale barn. Brown one is a 2 year old in the 1st period, had a wet bag, weighed just under 800 and I gave $850. She was part of a herd dispersal. The black one I bought by the pound, 4 year old in 1st period, gave just under $600 for her, weighed just under 800 as well. Cows were selling high so I thought I done pretty good. The brown one is fairly calm, black one is getting better but still traumatized from her sale barn experience. Both are branded which is fairly uncommon around here except for the real big operators.

Attachments

• 37522C56-0FB4-41EC-A619-6B81DF8CB0F4.jpeg
    37522C56-0FB4-41EC-A619-6B81DF8CB0F4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
Picked up these 2 young cows Monday at the sale barn. Brown one is a 2 year old in the 1st period, had a wet bag, weighed just under 800 and I gave $850. She was part of a herd dispersal. The black one I bought by the pound, 4 year old in 1st period, gave just under $600 for her, weighed just under 800 as well. Cows were selling high so I thought I done pretty good. The brown one is fairly calm, black one is getting better but still traumatized from her sale barn experience. Both are branded which is fairly uncommon around here except for the real big operators.
Those ain't new cows.
Those are used cows!
🤣

U did very well. Can't seem to buy a good young used cow around here for less than 850. I bet they come around nicely with something to eat.
Congrats!

You should be able to make some money there. Get 150 pounds or so on them and they'll look really good. You do that and get them to the third stage or calved out and you could flip them for a pretty penny or at those prices keep them for the long haul.

I like to find those 4 year olds and younger cheap like that.

Looks like they are close to the same weight and condition so why was 1 $250 higher than the other
One was sold as part of a herd dispersal, younger, and by the head...

The other was older and sold by the pound, as though the assumption is that she is going to slaughter.

I don't generally buy cows by the head if I can buy them by the pound.

One was sold as part of a herd dispersal, younger, and by the head...

The other was older and sold by the pound, as though the assumption is that she is going to slaughter.

I don't generally buy cows by the head if I can buy them by the pound.
But 4 year old isn't old enough to cause an issue. And if she was supposed to go to slaughter why was she preg checked. You got a great deal on that one.

But 4 year old isn't old enough to cause an issue. And if she was supposed to go to slaughter why was she preg checked. You got a great deal on that one.
In the Arkansas sale barns I dealt with they preg checked just about everything. One of the services offered since they always had a vet checking for bangs. 'Course that was a long time ago so who knows what they do now.

Brown one is a 2 year old in the 1st period, had a wet bag, weighed just under 800 and I gave $850.
1.06 lb

The black one I bought by the pound, 4 year old in 1st period, gave just under $600 for her, weighed just under 800 as well.
75 cents lb

1st period... do you mean 1st trimester of pregnancy? 1-3 months pg
IF so, due dates roughly April 1st

Last edited:
Looks like they are close to the same weight and condition so why was 1 $250 higher than the other
Sounds like 1st one came in with herd for dispersal sale. After that sale was done sale barn sold individual pg cull cows brought in by farmers. He thinks she was traumatized from sale barn experience. My guess is she's a long time trouble maker that seller decided to cull and he was only bidding against slaughter buyers.

Last edited:
Part of the herd dispersal, knew what she was bred to, a little better quality cow, bought her by the head. I bought the other one by the pound, she was just one of several that came through. I bid on several random ones by the pound, .80/lb was my limit so she was the only one I caught.

Last edited:
There were several cows there due to 2 herd dispersals. Generally here if they're not part of a herd dispersal or have a calf at side they will be sold by the pound if there are several cows to sell. Generally if someone is willing to pay to preg check, there is nothing wrong with the cow they were just thinning down, if they're a cull they don't pay to preg.

In the Arkansas sale barns I dealt with they preg checked just about everything. One of the services offered since they always had a vet checking for bangs. 'Course that was a long time ago so who knows what they do now.
They charge for it so if it's a sure enough cull it won't be checked.

Sounds like 1st one came in with herd for dispersal sale. After that sale was done sale barn sold individual pg cull cows brought in by farmers. He thinks she was traumatized from sale barn experience. My guess is she's a long time trouble maker that seller decided to cull and he was only bidding against slaughter buyers.
A bucket of feed has worked wonders on her so far. She's still a little spooky but not like she was a week ago, if she stays spooky I will sell her in the spring after she calves and buy a better cow. I was bidding against slaughter and a few others wanting take home cows.

Last edited:
My $600 cow has done well on stockpiled drought grass and fescue. She comes to a bucket of feed well and has fell quite well into be rotated and stays behind one strand of hot wire. She's still a little jumpy if I make sudden moves or if someone is with me but she'll come within 10' of me no problem by myself.

Attachments

• A9FB7789-7FF1-420E-85AA-3BD12CDEF90A.jpeg
    A9FB7789-7FF1-420E-85AA-3BD12CDEF90A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 9C60628B-FDE2-47BC-B53C-374C520834A0.jpeg
    9C60628B-FDE2-47BC-B53C-374C520834A0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
My $600 cow has done well on stockpiled drought grass and fescue. She comes to a bucket of feed well and has fell quite well into be rotated and stays behind one strand of hot wire. She's still a little jumpy if I make sudden moves or if someone is with me but she'll come within 10' of me no problem by myself.
Appears someone took her horns off huh?
Glad she's doing well!

How's the brown one coming along?

Appears someone took her horns off huh?
Glad she's doing well!

How's the brown one coming along?
Brown one is coming along good too, she hasn't gained like the black one though. I'll get a picture of her in the next few days. I've just been tickled with this black one for the price and how well she's gained on low quality grass due to drought. I just started feeding hay this week..
Yeah, someone cut her horns off at some point