New cows ruined

Help Support CattleToday:

charangusman08

Reaction score
My dad bought 15 bred red angus heifers last week and the calves are being born dead. The guy said they were bred to a purebred angus bull, but when we were leaving we seen a huge beefalo bull in a pen and my dad said hopefully they aren't really bred to that thing. Well 3-4 days ago they starting calving and so far all 10 have had to be pulled and all dead. They are like 120 pounds black calves and the beefalo was a angus and bison cross. 5 yet to calve and what I was wondering if the heifers will be able to be bred back because they all went through hell getting there calves pulled? Thanks.

Some may, some may not. Best to load them up and haul them back were they came from

dun":2k2z5rxu said:
Some may, some may not. Best to load them up and haul them back were they came from
Thats what we are going to do with them probably, we called the guy we bought them from and said that 12 got in with that beefalo bull, so three will stay on our farm and 12 back to that assholes farm! :mad:

I would first call the breeder and see if he will stand behind his cattle. I would immediately haul the remaining heifers that haven't calved back to him. I highly doubt there were really bred to a purebred Angus bull if all the calves really weigh 120 lbs at birth. You could always have one or two "freak" deals, but not all of them. I just don't see that happening.

I also am not sure about the beefalo, but I seem to remember something about them. It has to be a beef bull bred to buffalo cow to get the beefalo. I think it was because of a different gestation period. Beef animals have a shorter gestation period than buffalo. Therefore, if a buffalo bull breeds a beef cow, the cow will calve before the calf is completely developed. Not sure if a beefalo bull can breed a beef cow.

It will be harder for the heifers to breed back after difficult births. Dystocia is a big culprit of longer calving intervals.

charangusman08":2dffp57y said:
dun":2dffp57y said:
Thats what we are going to do with them probably, we called the guy we bought them from and said that 12 got in with that beefalo bull, so three will stay on our farm and 12 back to that be nice farm! :mad:

After him telling you that, I would haul them all back and DEMAND my money back. He knew when he sold them that 12 were possibly bred to the beefalo bull. He flat out lied to you when you bought them. Sounds like a crooked SOB if you ask me.

I sure wouldn;t chance it. Who's to say the 3 that you would keep don;t have other issues. Sounds like P-poor management on his part.
If they got in with the beefalo bull, I doubt if all of them came in heat in the same day unless they were synchronized. I would wash my hands of the deal and get out as painlessly as possible. I also sure wouldn;t be doing any more business with him.

Yeah like you said, how could they all 12 get bred to that beefalo bull, but they were in a pasture with the bull for a week the guy said, he now is saying he will only give me money back to the ones that have not calved yet which is only 4 now, one just had one and was a nice red angus bull calf that weighed around 70 pounds, he is going to get some free advertisement from me from now on if you know what I mean if he doesn't give us our money back.

charangusman08":1alagndt said:
Yeah like you said, how could they all 12 get bred to that beefalo bull, but they were in a pasture with the bull for a week the guy said, he now is saying he will only give me money back to the ones that have not calved yet which is only 4 now, one just had one and was a nice red angus bull calf that weighed around 70 pounds, he is going to get some free advertisement from me from now on if you know what I mean if he doesn't give us our money back.

The guys keeps changing his story if you ask me. First it was the heifers got in with the beefalo, now he is saying a week. Me thinks it was probably longer than that. If you wan't to keep the heifers that have "normal" calves, that is up to you. But I would take everyone of them back, and demand my money back.

By the way, you said he told you they were with a Registered Angus Bull. Wonder how you got a red calf out of that deal??? Unless you meant Registerd Red Angus, otherwise, aint happening.

bandit80":3nzlopvx said:
By the way, you said he told you they were with a Registered Angus Bull. Wonder how you got a red calf out of that deal??? Unless you meant Registerd Red Angus, otherwise, aint happening.

Unless the black Angus bull was a red carrier, i.e. heterozygous black. They do exist.

Wait a minute, if I didn't say I meant they were red angus heifers bred to a registered red angus bull. Sorry about that. My dad said we are taking all of them back and demanding our money back.

charangusman08":p2v21tsm said:
Wait a minute, if I didn't say I meant they were red angus heifers bred to a registered red angus bull. Sorry about that. My dad said we are taking all of them back and demanding our money back.

Good for your dad!
It's alwasy a shame when someone has high hopes and ends up getting the fid because of someone else.

In order for you to be on SOLID ground, I would suggest that you quietly discuss this situation with an Attorney who understands Agricultural cases! You don't have to wave your arms around and speak above a normal tone of voice, but do so ONLY after you have legally determined where you stand. THEN, and only then, you will be in a position of authority and control. If you get into a yelling match, you MAY say something which might compromise your legal position, and then YOU are the loser!

"Speak softly - but carry a BIG stick!"

DOC HARRIS

charangusman08":16rqedd4 said:
My dad bought 15 bred red angus heifers

Been there on some other breed of heifers bought at a sell. I think he pulled 7 out of 10.

We did it once. I'm not say that our experience is the norm.

I was a younger fry. I don't recall the breed back percentage.

Doc and Dun made a point. We just sucked it up and went on.

We bought a cow prior to that that somehow had bangs. Her efforts wiped out about 60 cows over the next year and a half. She caused the quarantine of the rest of the farm for a year and a half. No cash flow.

Life is a learning experience.

dun":21yxlc46 said:
I sure wouldn;t chance it. Who's to say the 3 that you would keep don;t have other issues. Sounds like P-poor management on his part.
If they got in with the beefalo bull, I doubt if all of them came in heat in the same day unless they were synchronized. I would wash my hands of the deal and get out as painlessly as possible. I also sure wouldn;t be doing any more business with him.

Dun said it all. Send them all back and get your money back. This guy is looking for a quick buck without putting the effort into managing his herd properly.

I thought Beefaloe couldnt breed like mules. Yeah make sure you talk to a attorney first before you tlak to him and try to do it as legally and as by the book as posssivle like doc said. Hope you get your money back and spread the word after you get your money back anyway becasue that is not right for a breeder to operate like that. ITs rediculouse that he did that.

Aaron":2hpr0i07 said:
Dun said it all. Send them all back and get your money back. This guy is looking for a quick buck without putting the effort into managing his herd properly.

Did he help them with their next purchase?

iowafarmer":3jgqhyzq said:
I thought Beefaloe couldnt breed like mules. Yeah make sure you talk to a attorney first before you tlak to him and try to do it as legally and as by the book as posssivle like doc said. Hope you get your money back and spread the word after you get your money back anyway becasue that is not right for a breeder to operate like that. ITs rediculouse that he did that.

My uncle has a beefalo cow that breeds every year. She raises a nice looking smokey calf (bred to black bull). The cow is small and produces a somewhat smaller calf than the rest. I think he just has her for a novelty.

the truth is your dad got stung bad on that cattle deal.an i dont know how your going to get that guy to willingly give him back the money on the heifers.unless a lawyer can help yall.you just learned a very vaulable lesson.

Latest posts