New Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

guess you'll see what kind of purchace you made at calving time. keep a eye on that bag before hand you will know. as long as that calf dont have too lay on its back too suck ;-) but she should of had a calf weaned off recently them pones on her hips would concern me about her being a consistant breeder

Her bag concerns me a little too, but you didn't pay a mint for her either. The extra condition she's carrying bothers me more, dropped off one just like her at the market this morning - gorgeous cow, slightly overconditioned, and didn't milk worth a crap. 1375lb and her calf didn't make 500lbs at weaning. Greedy old nag.

cfpinz

The cow is definitely fat. Doesn't look like she missed many meals or raised anything in a drought. Something is not right with her udder. Looks like she started to bag up or has been nursed recently. The back two quarters are slightly full while the front two are empty. Perhaps she is worth the gamble if you didn't pay very much for her.

I really believe that if you are bold enough to buy a cow from a salebarn without background info, you should brush up on your Latin: caveat emptor. Who knows,for $600 I don't think you'll get hurt. Boone

:( we are , in a week or so taking several to the sale barn.
1. bad bag 2. no calf this year( might do someone else ok)
3. cancer eye 4. old bull with health issues 5. prolaspe girl
6. just plain old and wore out :(

I agree she is nice looking cow but, If frt. teats on her are not blind (no milk) you`ll be lucky.

blk mule

Everyone who posted here is correct. The udder has rear 'bottle' teats, and is subject to mastitis in the future. The udder should, ideally, be level across the bottom with teats the size of a man's thumb. Buying a cow from the sale barn for whatever price more than slaughter, is a risky act. Her body condition indicates to me that she was a heavy milker at one time in her life, but missed a calf this year for one reason or another. Perhaps it died, and she didn't dry up too well. You certainly should keep an eye on her as she approaches parturition. You shouldn't loose money on her if you don't have high Vet. bills.

DOC HARRIS

Thanks for all of the comments. I see what you all are refering to. I really was not planning on buying anything when I did. Was at the sale with a neighbor, a couple about the same came through and went for so cheap I couldnt help but take a chance. I guess I find out how I did this spring.

Thanks again...

Hear is a closer look at her bag. Now that I have had her here a little more than a week... She is pretty young I believe. Lots of good teeth. She has never had an ear tag and is as tame as a good dog. I think I could ride her if I was so inclined ( and I'm not, dont completely trust them even when they are tame ) I am wondering if she was someones pet.. Oh well time will tell.
100_2372.JPG

Latest posts