New Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

bizybeehill

Reaction score
Okay I think this worked this time. So what do uou think, Just bought her form the sale barn. Got a good deal on her. Supposed to bed 3 months bred.
PB060006.JPG

nice cow, how much does she weigh, what did you pay? I love it when they say "x months bred" around here that's about a 6 month swing

Keep in mind that she's probably overfat because she didn't raise a calf this year. That means, she may be a poor mother, or to her credit, maybe the calf died of something beyond her control. Either way, be wary. If she ended up in the salebarn, there must have been a reason for it.

Hi bizybee, how are things in Loudon County?

Is there something going on with that new cow's udder (like maybe she had a calf on her recently?). I'm not an expert, by any means, but it looks like it's been sort of active. I hope she does well for you and has a nice spring calf.

purecountry":276uo8dm said:
Keep in mind that she's probably overfat because she didn't raise a calf this year. That means, she may be a poor mother, or to her credit, maybe the calf died of something beyond her control. Either way, be wary. If she ended up in the salebarn, there must have been a reason for it.

Looks like she had a calf with that bag.

purecountry":2f2vr5ti said:

Around here, right now, the reason may be somebody needs some quick cash.

Alice

Gale Seddon":qo5oybcl said:
Hi bizybee, how are things in Loudon County?

Is there something going on with that new cow's udder (like maybe she had a calf on her recently?). I'm not an expert, by any means, but it looks like it's been sort of active. I hope she does well for you and has a nice spring calf.

I'm with you, Gale...the udder was the first thing I noticed. She's been very recently nursed, I think.

Alice

Looks like our old boss cow...only wth two eyes. If she is anything like boss you'll get nice big calves every year.
Does she have a mouth full of adult teeth?
Oh yeah...up here the "3" on her side indicates that she is in her third trimester...6-9 mo bred.
DMc

I just dropped off 11 at the sale barn.. Most are going becasue they are old or jumpers in the chute.. Fine in the pasture but dump in the chute.. Hope they go for a bit more than 600, we just sold some opens that went for well more than that...

you did good on her from the looks of it right now. depending on what age she has on her she could pound out for $600 or more. She looks like a $.45 cow so I think you'll do well with her.

purecountry":4ghgxln4 said:

She doesn't look overly fat to me, and she probably ended up at the salebarn due to drought - considering the poster is from Virginia. How about if you stop being the voice of doom? I agree that the salebarn is not usually the best place to purchase bred cows, but this year has been anything but the best, so all bets are off when it comes to the salebarn.

bizybeehill":2hanb49l said:
Okay I think this worked this time. So what do uou think, Just bought her form the sale barn. Got a good deal on her. Supposed to bed 3 months bred.

I suspect she may have a tendency for bottle tits on her back quarters, and she may be a little more than 3 months bred. But, I could be wrong on that.

Being a little new to this. I appreciate the comments. Good and bad. Those that see a problem with her bag what is it you dont like. Like I said, Im still learning and dont mind the commments.

Thanks

Seems like every area has a standard maring systme for bred cows. Most around here use a tag of a specific color for the bred status with a number written on it, like 3, 4,5, SS, BM that signifys age.
The concern about her udder is the way it "looks" like the rear quarters are significantly larger then the forequarters.
Depending on the market, it seems you paid about killer prices for her so you probably aren't going to get hurt when you sell her. If she does raise a calf all you'll have in her for costs is vet and feed.

dun

She looks like a panda bear, especially with those small ears.

I hope she works for you?

However, giving only $600, you're not going to loose anything and will most likely learn alot!

bizybeehill":13zej5tt said:
Being a little new to this. I appreciate the comments. Good and bad. Those that see a problem with her bag what is it you dont like. Like I said, Im still learning and dont mind the commments.

Thanks

The problem with her bag is that balance. A cows' rear quarters shouldn't hang lower than the front ones. Like dun said, they're bigger than the front 2. When the back 2 hang low like that, it's called a "Goat Bag" or a "Swing Bag". Just cowboy slang, that's all. The problem with that kind of udder, is as she gets older, and those back quarters hang lower and lower with every calf she has, she has a high probability of developing mastitis, or their teats themselves will often become too large for a newborn calf to suckle.

That's why you want to select cows that have a balanced, level udder. Teats don't need to be any larger than your thumb or index finger - depending how big your fingers are I guess. And msscamp, I did not mean to sound like the voice of doom, my dear, just telling as I saw it when I first looked at the cow.

And I stand by my opinion, that she looks as though she was dry this year. That udder does not look freshly nursed to me. I believe she naturally has a big old goat bag when she's lactating, and those teats may never get any smaller than what you see right there. Of course I may be wrong, since I'm giving my opinion based upon 1 little old picture, but that's just my guess. As some of the others stated though, for the price, you can't really go wrong.

Latest posts