New cow..Placenta hanging...not bagging or...even springing.

Help Support CattleToday:

2barmcattle

Reaction score
The other day one of our cows had a good 1" x 12" string hanging. The next day it was not there. No bag or is she even springing. She should only be around 5 mos bred. Whats up?

Thanks....

They'll freqeuntly have mucus haning periodially during pregnancy. Unless she goes into labor it's a "no sweater"

Bet she just aborted her calf. Five Month calf would be about a foot long so buzzards might lead you to it.

Yes what Dun said, but if that is *placenta* and not just clear mucous, she's lost the calf.

If nothing's got it first and you know where she was, you might find it. My dog's not bad at sniffing them out if I take him round the cows with me (except if you don't keep your eye on him it'll be vanished shortly after he finds it).

Drove all over...figured the calf would be large enough to find and she is in a smaller pasture. Found nothing. It seemed like more than mucus and....it was covered in crap so I guess it could have been. Just appeared to resemble a cow that just had a calf accept...no calf...no bag.

Thanks!!

It was possibly mucous covered in dirt / weeds, etc. from being damp and hanging. I wouldn't worry.. I've seen it on my cows many times before. They've always had a calf when they were supposed to.

2barmcattle":307o45s7 said:
Drove all over...figured the calf would be large enough to find and she is in a smaller pasture. Found nothing. It seemed like more than mucus and....it was covered in crap so I guess it could have been. Just appeared to resemble a cow that just had a calf accept...no calf...no bag.

Thanks!!

You're probably right. When laying down cattle will often discharge a clear muscous which can lay in the dirt....maybe you'll have a baby in about 4 months. ;-)

Latest posts