new commers

Help Support CattleToday:

Hey show mom how do you break your calves to
show. My 14 year old son and I raise brahman cattle
and he started showing them last year. We have a weaned
7 month old hiefer that is a little spookish. Do you have any
ideas.

Bobby

Put a halter on her and let her drag the lead rope around for a few days. Then start tieing her up to and just brush her and get her to gentle down. She's going to jump and kick and pull but try not to act like you are afraid of her. Brahman are very smart and if they think you are scared they will act worse.

txshowmom":3javcqub said:
Put a halter on her and let her drag the lead rope around for a few days. Then start tieing her up to and just brush her and get her to gentle down. She's going to jump and kick and pull but try not to act like you are afraid of her. Brahman are very smart and if they think you are scared they will act worse.

That may work for you but I would never try it. Too much risk involved if the animal spooks especially. They can get the rope caught between their 'toes', caught in a fence, on a tree limb, etc. We just ran them into the headgate, haltered them, and then tied them out. We never left a tied calf unattended.

fit2btied":nbaxuar7 said:
That may work for you but I would never try it. Too much risk involved if the animal spooks especially. They can get the rope caught between their 'toes', caught in a fence, on a tree limb, etc. We just ran them into the headgate, haltered them, and then tied them out. We never left a tied calf unattended.

i agree fit2btied. while i know people who do, we never let calves drag ropes.

Thanks for clearing that up I used to some people jumping down my throat on this board today. Must be the moon. :D :D

fit2btied":f3uep533 said:
txshowmom":f3uep533 said:

You wouldn't turn them out in a pasture dragging the rope. You would keep them in a small pen. That's how we halter break all of our showstock. They are in a pen 12X12 to 16X16 and drag the rope for a week or so. They learn what a rope is when they step on it.

It's a lot better than these people that drag them with horses or tractors to halter break them. Everything that we have halter broke has been able to be shown within two weeks of us getting them.

rgv4":34p0qq3e said:
It's a lot better than these people that drag them with horses or tractors to halter break them. Everything that we have halter broke has been able to be shown within two weeks of us getting them.

I have halter broke 100's of show and sale cattle to lead. Ranging in age from a few months to mature animals
Never have I put a halter on them to drag around nor have I ever pulled them with horses, tractors or anything else except for my own body.

Dragging a halter is a good way for an animal to get injured.

I agree with LAngus.. we never leave a rope loose on a calf. I've seen a calf get tangled up in one and get badly injured.

The more time you can spend with the calf, the better... especially for a Brahman. They have to earn your trust before you'll get anywhere with one. Years ago someone gave me the advice to "wear a brush out on them", and by gosh, it's worked for me. Some will gentle quicker, and it can be frustrating, but the time is well spent.

There are also some Brahmans that will never calm down. We sold a 7 year old cow last weekend that I showed at Ft. Worth, and as she got older the more stupid she behaved. Last year I sold three heifers to a FFA boy that's bought from me in the past, and one of the three he never could get to settle. He finally just gave up and turned her out with the cows. Don't risk getting hurt over one!

Making myself clear:

When I say drag a lead rope, I mean a rope that is about 2 1/2 to 3 feet long, just long enough that the calf can step on it with the front feet.
Also, the calf is in a pen where there is nothing for it to get tangled up on.

rgv4":16rid6ur said:
Making myself clear:

When I say drag a lead rope, I mean a rope that is about 2 1/2 to 3 feet long, just long enough that the calf can step on it with the front feet.

you're clear. i still don't agree. i don't care how big the pen is or how long the rope is. we never let calves drag a lead rope. the whole halter comes off every night & if that means we have to run them up the chute the next time to catch them, so be it. & no, we don't use tractors or donkeys. we're breaking 6 heifers right now (all close to 700 lbs) & i had them walking within a week. three of them by the 2nd day.

txag":24uwwv7w said:
rgv4":24uwwv7w said:
Making myself clear:

you're clear. i still don't agree. i don't care how big the pen is or how long the rope is. we never let calves drag a lead rope. the whole halter comes off every night & if that means we have to run them up the chute the next time to catch them, so be it. & no, we don't use tractors or donkeys. we're breaking 6 heifers right now (all close to 700 lbs) & i had them walking within a week. three of them by the 2nd day.

Agree get the rope and halter off it's an accident waiting to happen.

We have broke 100'2 of cattle by letting them drag a haulter and have never had one injury. If you talk to some of the professional cattle fitters thats what they do as well. It may not work for you but it does work for some of us so get off our backs.

txshowmom":3emr06g3 said:
We have broke 100'2 of cattle by letting them drag a haulter and have never had one injury. If you talk to some of the professional cattle fitters thats what they do as well. It may not work for you but it does work for some of us so get off our backs.

well, i don't recall being "on your back". you're the first to throw out that this is an opinion board when someone doesn't agree with you so i'll remind you of that now. it is my opinion that there are better ways to halter-break a calf than letting it drag a rope. it is my opinion that i hate to see them dragging it through the mud & manure & jerking their head & neck back every time they step on it. it is also my opinion that professional fitters aren't always the ones to look to for right ways to do things.

i don't plan to get into a p.issing contest over who's broken more cattle, but i do have to say that i don't know what "100'2" calves are and i'm not familiar with a "haulter"........is that a special halter you use while hauling them?

don't know what "100'2" calves are and i'm not familiar with a "haulter"........is that a special halter you use while hauling them?

Nope my fingers just move faster on my keyboard then my eyes can proofread.

fit2btied":3f6r6xhv said:
txshowmom":3f6r6xhv said:
Put a halter on her and let her drag the lead rope around for a few days. Then start tieing her up to and just brush her and get her to gentle down..

That may work for you but I would never try it. Too much risk involved if the animal spooks especially. They can get the rope caught between their 'toes', caught in a fence, on a tree limb, etc.... We never left a tied calf unattended.
Our grandaughter was raising a calf for 4H and they had her tied up. They went out to find her dead!

fit2btied":3apal3tf said:
txshowmom":3apal3tf said:
Put a halter on her and let her drag the lead rope around for a few days. Then start tieing her up to and just brush her and get her to gentle down..

That may work for you but I would never try it. Too much risk involved if the animal spooks especially. They can get the rope caught between their 'toes', caught in a fence, on a tree limb, etc.... We never left a tied calf unattended.
Our grandaughter was raising a calf for 4H and they had her tied up. They went out to find her dead!

Latest posts